Gold bullion coins... keep in wrap or remove wrap?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by ewomack, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I have some Canadian Maple Leafs that were purchased in their original RCM plastic sleeve. I've often thought of removing them from these sleeves and putting them in airtites or some more solid case. The plastic is a little flimsy and the surfaces of those things are touchy.

Would removing them from the original plastic detract from their value or sell-ability? I have no idea...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Haleiwa

Haleiwa New Member

Never remove the wrap from them. If you're fortunate, they could be graded as high as a MS70. Who knows? If you unwrap them or fondle them, they will only decrease in value. Personally, I'd much rather own a graded MS69+ slabbed coin than a piece of bullion wanna B.

4. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

post pics i would love to look at them :D

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Never seen one ( the case that is ), post a pic please. Hard to say what to do without knowing what kind of sleeve it is.

6. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

7. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

It is just a gold round... I doubt it has any, or will ever have any, collectable value.

Personally, I'd take it out and play with it... ;)

8. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Heh... probably not... but it definitely has re-sale value... and I'm wondering if anyone knows if these sell better in the plastic pouch or outside in more durable storage...

But first I'll go toss it around a bit...

9. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

I don't know whether they sell better or not in the plastic package they come in. But, I had a small Canadian maple leaf that was in one of their original mint packages. I didn't like how it slid around in the package. It had a few scuffs on it and I thought it might have been from the packaging, so I took it out and put it in an Airtite. That took care of that.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I have the same for ome silver Canadian maple leafs.

Leave them alone.

They are happy there.

11. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

those things might have pvc. i would do some more research before leaving them in there

12. HazardJoe

HazardJoe New Member

I bought silver leafs in the plastic baggies most of them were scruffed up and looked horrible so i took them out and put them in airtites. But either way god or silver it just bullion it's going to sell for what the spot is on the day you sell. Your going to end up taking them out of the airtites when you do sell.

13. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Does pvc hurt gold? I hadn't heard that... I know aqua regia does... thankfully I don't have any on hand... :p

14. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

once pvc sticks on coins it becomes a problem

15. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I would just leave the coin in the original packaging. Everyone likes to preserve the coindition of all coins, but in the case of bullion it really isn't important to get fanatical about it.

16. Danr

Danr Numismatist

sure looks like PVC to me.:eek:

17. Danr

Danr Numismatist

Avoiding PVC is not fanatical it is just good sense (even on bullion)

18. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

lol i am glad at least someone sees wisdom in my words :D

19. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

True enough, but I can't see the Canadian Mint using packaging that promotes PVC... especially in this day and age.

20. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

pvc is like acid in paper its mostly there unless you make an effort to make it without it or take it out

21. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I remember the pvc scare back when I was fanatic about sports cards - magazines were saying it would dissolve cards to powder in 10 - 20 years time. I also remember the distinctive smell of pvc plastic. I have to say that when I smelled the plastic around the bullion coins I have, it has that same oily smell.

On the other hand, I have another bullion piece dated 1985 that's still in its plastic sleeve (I bought it that way earlier this year) and the sleeve and coin look absolutely fine. I've tried some searches to determine if the RCM uses pvc in those sleeves but so far have come up with zero.

Since I'm planning on saving my bullion longterm, I'm starting to think that removing them from those slips might be the best option.

Draft saved Draft deleted