Gold $800.00, Silver $16.00 next target?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by elaine 1970, Oct 15, 2007.

1. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

Gold $800.00
    Silver $16.00
    ratio 50 to 1
    i think it will touch. what is your analysis and comment?.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

I know this is not entirely coin related, but can someone tell me the importance/fascination with the ratio? Currently, its 55:1 and I know gold and silver tend to trend similarly, but I can't figure what the big deal is.

Thanks

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I think that gold to silver ratios, particularly comparing them to historical ratios, are useless in today's market where the uses of gold and silver are quite different from days gone by.

Given the dollar's continued decline I think that gold will continue to be a good investment, but posting price targets is silly, IMHO...Mike

p.s. how are those first hag "investments" going?

5. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I agree with leadfoot.

6. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I also agree. Trying to predict the future prices of gold and silver is similar to teaching a pig to sing, its a waste of time and only annoys the pig.

7. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

As an annoyed, non-singing pig, can I also make a point? I think that overall, a rising price of gold is not a good thing for coin collectors. It will just put things we haven't acquired yet farther out of reach. This wouldn't apply to those who have huge stockpiles of gold purchased at lower prices that they hope to sell at a profit in the future, but I suspect that applies to very few of the people in this forum.

8. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I agree with that statement also. If the prices of gold and silver do rise to unaffordable amounts it would put alot of coins far out of reach from most collectors, which would be a bad thing. I, for one, dont have those large quantities of gold lying around to cash in on.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

That all depends on how you define "huge". ;) But I do have a significant stockpile of gold...

I know that I have been a buyer of gold (mostly Krugerrands) for quite some time, since it hit $400 a few years ago, and I continue to buy gold. FWIW, I use it not so much as a profit center but rather as a hedge against the dollar and stock market -- and it has performed superbly over the past few years doing just that....Mike

10. elaine 1970

new prices for american gold eagle

source: u.s. mint

uncirculated:
    one ounce $831.95
    half ounce $424.95
    1/4 ounce $219.95
    1/10 ounce $99.95
    4 pc set $1,559.95

proof:
    one ounce $ not available, am buffalo $899.95
    half ounce $459.95
    1/4 ounce $239.95
    1/10 ounce $116.95
    4 pc set $1,695.95

by looking at those prices above. that's mean future other gold products at least at prices below and might be a little higher too.
    4th spouse gold unc $424.95
    4th spouse gold proof $459.95
    modern commem gold unc $254.95
    modern commem gold proof $274.95

11. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

I guess the definition of "huge" is relative. With current prices I would consider anything more than 10 oz. or so "huge", but your mileage may vary.

12. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

Gold neared $760 per ounce today (Monday 10/15), but based on the new prices, perhaps the Mint thinks it's continuing upward.

The 1/10 ounce has always had a fairly hefty markup, but $100 vs. $76 worth of gold is $24 or a markup of more than 31 percent. I have not been following the AE prices, so is this a typical margin over the actual gold value?

13. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

That ration thang

Here's my main reason for watching the ratio and it doesn't apply to me right now.

Last time I bought gold (a few ounces) the ratio was about 43 or 45:1. I sold silver to buy the gold which was right around $600 an ounce.
    I had the silver for a long time and had $5-6 in it. Put it up on ebay and got about $13 and ounce then took profits to buy gold. Figure I paid maybe $300 or less per ounce of gold even though it was at $600. Yeah, I know there was lost interest on it but sure was an easier way for me to buy gold.

Since then I still keep somewhat of an eye on rations but more on the overall spot of gold and silver.

14. bama guy

bama guy Coin Hoarder

Along with the rise in metal prices, everyting else seems to heading the same direction. Oil today hit all time high of $86 a barrel. Everyone knows what that means.

15. elaine 1970

gold high , spouse gold not available now

the u.s. mint stop selling spouse uncirculated gold due to the high price of gold. the mintage for uncirculated should be low as compared to other two. see jefferson liberty spouse gold coin shine to over $1,000.00 soon.

16. vwap

vwap New Member

How do you know it was pulled due to high gold prices, rather than having sold out?

17. elaine 1970

am eagle platinum unc series are not available too

all five items of 2007 am eagle platinum uncirculated series were not available. because the price of platinum went up too.

18. elaine 1970

product is not available

the mint is selling american eagle 1/2 ounce unc gold coin at $424.95. the price is over the jefferson liberty 1/2 ounce gold coin. which is $410.95 each. not only that. the jefferson spouse gold is priced at a premium over american eagle half ounce gold. so, the mint will just declare product sold out. to proof my observation is correct. we have to wait the final mintage come out.

19. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Could be. On the other hand they may just want to get those extra dollars out of remaining mintage.
    Could be a great marketing ploy..
    Could be a great investment.
    Could be a lot things.

We'll just have to wait and see as one never really knows for sure.

Some mint products have done great. Others have died a horrible death.

Of course if gold keeps going up. Some of these coins

Could be great just for the bullion.

20. elaine 1970

gold high today is $763.60 an ounce

silver did not show strength to that of gold. gold hit a high of $763.60 per ounce. but currently traded below $760.00.

21. elaine 1970

gold $764.20 in asia

gold continue to edge higher in asia. now at $764.20 per ounce.

Draft saved Draft deleted