Why is this coin so big??

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by wittwolf, Oct 20, 2021.

1. wittwolf

wittwolf Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I dont know how many here use coin tableaus but I do and that is why I sometimes come upon this - Edited - problem:
    IMG_20211020_130156~2.jpg
    So while I am happy to have received my first coin from the reign if Emperor Justinian I. its sadly much bigger than all the other byzantine follis I got yet so I have to get a bigger tableau for my late romans - byzantine coins now :bigtears:. Thanks for using this oversized coin flan go out to the unknown byzantine mint worker who brought this upon me xD

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2021
    singig, robinjojo, Pellinore and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Ha you've got the opposite problem to most of the Romans in the ancient world. 99% of the time, their coins just kept on shrinking and shrinking...

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

That's true, most of the time the coins became increasingly debased and smaller. However, Justinian, like Anastasius desired to improve the money supply through reforms. Consider it a good problem to have.

5. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Does anyone make felt trays/shelves with mixed size squares?

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Get a Justinian from later in his reign. His follis peaked in size around the year 12 or 13, shrinking after that. Look on the back, when was yours struck?

7. wittwolf

Mine is from the year 15 but I'am happy with it, it took me quite some time to win a coin from his reign for a good price and getting a tableau for coins with a bigger diameter will be easier. Its from the Constantinople mint and the diameter is 36,2mm at the largest
    Justinian.png

8. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

Just grind it down to fit.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2021
  9. wittwolf

What monster would grind down a coin :0

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

36.2 is not so bad. I have a year 12 that is 42mm at its widest, so it could be worst. A nice half follis runs around 33-34 if you wanted something to fit better, or like a year 24 issue.

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Justinian made coins in many denominations and many standards so you can find one the size you want.
    10 nummi year 34 Antioch
    rz0065bb2874.jpg

Justinian even had that problem when the coins were made. This year 25, Antioch 20 nummi used an obverse die from the 40 nummi size making a well centered example legend free.
    rz0055fd2521.jpg

When I used trays, I had four sizes and realized that 4mm and 40mm coins did not have to live together. Now I use envelopes that fit all but a few of my coins which still have to be segregated.

12. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I like big bronzes and I cannot lie.

13. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

C'mon, mods. I'm no prude and certainly with my own flaws to include verbally using similar words now/then, if not in print, but unless TC practices selective rules enforcement (and they may), the title of this thread contains regretful language that needs either editing/censoring and/or apology. I've certainly been dealt with for less around here.

Stevearino and hotwheelsearl like this.
  14. JJ Walker

JJ Walker Member

I've been using this:
    https://amzn.to/3jgbNtu

The separators are removable.

15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

God had nothing to do with it. He gave you a mind, us it!

Stevearino likes this.
  16. wittwolf

Praise the gods, I already did so and sorted parts of my collection around so I now had a tableau with bigger spaces ready ;)
    IMG_20211020_175154~2.jpg
    Because I like to sort my coins in continuety the small coins moved with the big ones.

17. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Leuchtturm offers one like this. 45 different sized slots.

Attached Files:

Ed Snible, DonnaML and Broucheion like this.
  18. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Big ancient money is relative. I have a piece or two that do not fit in the 60 X 85 mm case my daughter gave me this year.
    20211020_134858.jpg
    I have problems taking pics of these. The surfaces are different and the results are different also. These all fit in the case. That is not so for some -
    20211020_133954.jpg

wittwolf, Ed Snible, Bing and 2 others like this.
  19. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

You have a reform follis of Justinian I. Prior to this reform, before year 12 of his reign, the folles tended to be narrower, and lighter, with generally a profile portrait. His reform coinage folles were much broader and heavier, with a facing portrait.

Judging from the obverse, your coin was minted later in his reign, when flans became more irregular, the strikes cruder and the weights generally lighter.

Here's a later date, year 20, 547/8, Constantinople, Officina B.

19.6 grams

D-Camera Justinian I follis Con year 20 officina B 547-548 19.6 g 10-20-21.jpg

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  20. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Broucheion likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted