Germany and Austria notes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Billy Kingsley, Oct 30, 2009.

1. As I might have stated in the past, I tend to favor money from Germany in my collection, both coins and currency. Partly because I like the designs, partly because I am a quarter German and partly for no reason whatsoever! This post here is what I've been able to aquire from Germany to date. I've heard of the Notgeld (Is that the right term?) and I think some of these may be the same. I have yet to aquire any catalogs so I am pretty much flying blind...for now...and just aquiring what I like!

This one was labeled 1920 but has 1921 on it. I found it interesting, and it came home with me!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This seems to be a 5000 Mark note from 1922. This is tied for the highest denomination in my collection.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This appears to be a 1 Mark note from 1937. It doesn't really show in the scan but the paper is on a yellowish stock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I believe this is a note from the WWII occupation. Series 1944. From something I seem to recall reading, I think this is a note that was issued by the Russians. I don't see the small F from the notes I am sure were made by the USA. If it IS a note issued by the USA, wouldn't the dash mark make this the equivalent of a star note?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have shown this note before but I have rescanned it (although I didn't do a very good job of it!). This note was brought home by a relative of mine who served in WWII, although I do not know who, as I had multiple relatives serve in the war.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now, for Austria. I don't know why but I am drawn to Austrian issues. Through pure chance I have aquired a large selection (large for me-under 20 coins) of Austrian coins and now I've started to get some Austrian currency. As near as I can tell, I have no blood ties to Austria although my heritage on my father's side is a bit cloudy. So I just collect them because I am a collector and that is what I do!
    This note, if it is from 1916 as dated, and it certainly appears to be even if not that exact date, was actually issued by Austria-Hungary.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And these here are from Austria by itself.
    A very interesting note...a line drawing, deep blue, yellow red and pink...I like it! Even with the somewhat drab reverse.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I liked the village portrayed on this note.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This note, which came with the one posted directly above, also features a scene of a village...it seems that village scenes on notes tend to draw me to them!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love this note's looks. It looks like early comic books (another passion of mine) The paper feels like it, too, although a little thicker the texture is the same. I just read
    this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_von_frundsberg about the man on the note. This is the kind of thing I love about collecting currency and coins...a direct connection to history, and it furthered my historical knowledge, just by buying it! I have to wonder if the building on the back was his personal castle? It doesn't look much like a castle but castles of cource vary.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well, that's all for now.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Billy very cool notes and Notegeld... Thanks for sharing these with us...:thumb::thumb:

RickieB

4. lettow

lettow Senior Member

There are a couple notgeld catalogs but they are all in German. There are thousands of different types of notgeld most of which you can find for fifty cents to a dollar.

You are new at this if 5000 marks is the highest denomination German note you have. They had notes denominated in billions of marks which equate to trillions of marks in the US as you pass through the Millliard range between Million and Billion in Germany.

Your attributions are correct on all the notes. The Austrian 1 krone note has the Deutschosterreich overprint indicating it was issued during WWI after Germany assumed Austria into the Reich.

5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Germany did not implement the "Anschluss" until 1938, this note was issued by the newly formed Republic of Austria in 1919-20. Notice on the bottom of the note that it still has the name of the Austro-Hungarian Bank in German and Hungarian - when the note was designed and printed the Empire had not yet splintered into several different countries. The Deutschosterreich overprint was applied by the Austrian state after the empire was dismembered - to specify that it circulated in the provisional Austrian state instead of the other separated out countries. Initially after WWI ended and before all was said and should have been finished, there was a lot of flux in opinion on what should happen with boundaries etc. It wasn't "settled" until 1919, but we all know from our history that it really did not get settled until much later, with more war and misery to follow.

I think I see a small F on the 20 Mark note issued by the AMG, it is in the lower right hand corner near the numeric denomination.

The AMG's and the Rentenmarks and Reichsmarks circulated until the revaluation of the German Mark at 10:1 in 1948.

6. Thanks for the comments and info!

I am indeed very new to world notes, I only had a handfull until earlier this month, mostly Canadian! Now I've expanded my horizons greatly, and I'm loving every second of it! :)

A question...is that Martin Luther on the 5000 Mark note?

7. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

i have a book, 'A Guide and checklist world notegeld 1914-1947'. Its not the most user friendly, with few images, but with houndreds of thousands of notgeld issued... i guess it would be hard to show images of everything. I do like the book though. It lists all the locations of most all countries, tells what type of notegeld - paper, metal, coupon, bottle cap ect

its a pretty nice book if you collect notegeld :)

Draft saved Draft deleted