German Concentration Camp Coins & Banknotes.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Aidan Work, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

I know that there were coins & banknotes issued for various Nazi concentration camps.Krause lists the Lodz Ghetto coins,but Pick does not list the banknotes.I have seen banknotes that were issued at Theresenstadt & the Lodz Ghetto.The Theresenstadt ones depict a representation of a Jewish rabbi holding up 2 tablets inscribed either in Yiddish or in Hebrew.The rest of the notes are inscribed in German,which always includes the inscription,'Quittung Uber'.Has anyone else seen these notes?

I have got a note that I have never seen listed.It is a 1 Reichsmark.I have tried my best to transcribe the German language inscription,as I find the Gothic style writing difficult to read.It is a uniface note with a black frame on off-white paper.It has the Nazi eagle at bottom left & an orange triangle in the centre.The note is on a lozenge watermarked paper.The note is inscribed as follows;

'Kriegsgefangenen = Lagergeld.Gutschein uber 1 Reichsmarf.Dieser Gutschein gilt nur als Zahlungsmittel fur Kriegsgefangene und darf von ihnen nur innerhaub der Kriegsgefangenenlager oder bei ArbeitsKommandos in den ausdruklich hierfur beseichneten Verkaufsstellen verausgabt und entgegengenommen werden.Der Umtausch dieses Gutscheines in gesetzliche Zahlungsmittel darf nur bei der Zustandigen Kasse der Lagerwerwaltung erfolgen.Zuwiderhandlungen,
    Nachahmungen und falschungen werden bestraft. (A signature). Der Chef
    des Oberkommandos der Wehrmacht.(A signature).Im Austrage.'

If you can translate this German inscription,I will be very happy.From what I can deduce,this was issued for use in the concentration camps.I have a very limited command of the German language.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes I've seen the concentration camp currency and I have a few. I also have all of the Lodz gtto coinage.

A rough explaiation of what the text you posted means is:

Pisoner of war camp money coupon 1 Richmark
    This coupon is only for prisoners of war in the POW camps or on work details. Conversion of this coupon for legal tender may only be done by the POW camp "cashier". Production of counterfeits or imitations will be punished. (A signature) the boss of the supreme command of the Whrmacht (A signature) something about a dicharge or discharge officer.

This is the translation from babelfish

to ' prisoners of war = camp money coupon more uber 1 Reichsmarf.Dieser coupon only than currencies fur prisoner of war is considered and may of them only innerhaub the prisoner-of-war camps or with work commands into that ausdruklich hierfur beseichneten sales offices spent and received will-will that conversion of this coupon into legal tenders may only with the Zustandigen cash of the Lagerwerwaltung taking place offences, imitations and falschungen to become punished. (A signature). The boss of the supreme command of the Wehrmacht.(A signature).Im discharge.'

4. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

Sounds then, that this was for normal POWs and not concentration camp internees?

The people who used this money were likely to have lived to tell about it.

5. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

James,this section will be right up your street,as it were.

Aidan.

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

This page for example shows such a note:
    http://www.muenster.de/stadt/zwangsarbeit/lebensumstaende.html

It is a 5 Reichsmark but apart from that it seems to be very similar to the one you have. And no, those were not concentration camp notes, but for POW camps in Germany where people from occupied countries worked as forced laborers.

Christian

7. FLAME

FLAME New Member

I have several of those banknotes from 50 phenings to 10 reichmark. My grandfather brought them from Germany where he was captured as Serbian officer during the WW II. Are they worth something? Anyone who knows?

8. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Post a few pics. I bought a couple last year that were determined to be fakes. I have some reference material I could check your bills against to confirm what they are.

9. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

i have a few of the concentration camp issues, it's a touchy subject for me as i am jewish...............

lagergeld is a totally different thing, it is usually prisoner of war camp money.

Draft saved Draft deleted