George V Rupee Brockage Error?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Aslanmia, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

I picked this up recently and just wanted to share. :)

I have quite the little collection of brockage error rupees at the moment, but this was definately one of the better finds. It was actually mislabeled as a two shilling brockage but the bust was all wrong, so I think I may have got it for a better price.

India was the only British colony to use this particular reverse (obverse?), yes?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Way kewl! :thumb:

I missed out on a French Double Tournois brockage yesterday. :( I got busy and forgot about it ending and I didn't get to stick in my snipe bid. :(

I think brokages are some of the neatest errors. :thumb:

Ribbit :)

4. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

Me too! Especially the full brockages...

I have rupee brockages of every British monarch now (including young and old Victoria) excluding King Edward.... he's next on the hit list. :)

5. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Wow...this is really nice...I own only one, and will get more as I continue.

question..as I am too lazy to search right now. Are all brockages consitant with that strong of a strike on the reverse, with that much of the brockage showing?

stainless

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

7. kidromeo

kidromeo I M LEGEND

Uh guys,
    Wats a brokerage error?
    I'm guessing its the mirror image of the other side. But how on earth does this happen?
    And Scott, is the pix is of a single coin's obv and rev or two diff coins?

8. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

nice buy thats an expensive coin. i bet you got a great deal on it if ti was mislabeled.

9. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i believe people there use the word laakhi

10. kidromeo

kidromeo I M LEGEND

Thats again something I never came across :confused:

11. kuhli

kuhli title not chosen

if I didn't know better, I would swear that I once owned that coin. if not that one, I had one that was just like it, down to the toning and everything. Sold it off a few years back, when I had some serious medical issues that caused me to re-evaluate my collecting interests, and I focused on one area and liquidated everything else.

12. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

:headbang: i wish i had bought it

13. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

there is nothign to it

here is what a brokage is

A coin exhibiting an error caused by the failure of the coin press to release the previous coin from the die before striking it. The design from the first coin is imprinted, sunken in reverse, on the second coin. Brokage coins appear to have the same design on both sides with one side showing a reverse or mirror strike which, because the previous coin acts as the die, does not usually have the same quality of detail.

14. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

Not at all! For example, I have yet to see a full US coin brockage. Just do a quick search on Heritage or eBay and you'll see what I mean.

I can't say I'm a fan of the partial brockages (or any other errors for that matter), but the full strike brockages are beautiful. :)

15. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

Basically what Spock said. A coin gets stuck in the press and gets hammered by another coin leaving a mirror impression.

That's just one coin Rony, I spliced the two pics together. :)

16. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Good, then ancients aint the only ones that have weak strikes sometimes..lol..

I'll say amen to that:

[​IMG]

stainless

17. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Nice brockages...the detail on the Rupee is incredible!
    Yes--the Indian obverse of KGV has the elephant in the regalia on the portrait.

18. kidromeo

kidromeo I M LEGEND

Thanks for the info both of you :bow::bow::bow:

19. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

or the pig if you ask me

20. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

np anytime

21. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

Awesome! I knew about the elephant (or pig... lol) but I wasn't sure if it also showed up on the obverse of Hong Kong coinage as well. That was the only other colony that had the bust of George V with the crown and the emperor legend, I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted