funny ebay auction

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jako lipo, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

That's a former jewelry piece. A pin was soldered to the reverse. It is worth essentially melt value.

Check out this outrageous claim he makes:

"This coin is a class of its own; one & only error gold ever minted. Note 3 missing letters in USA."

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

On second look, that is a fantasy piece. Could be a game token like you said. Denver did not have a mint in 1898.

5. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

The seller is from Malaysia with 100% feedback on his 34 feedback rating.

I'm sure it's legit. NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT!!!! Etc.

6. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I wouldn't pay 32 cents for that thing, much less 32 grand! I've never seen "gold" tarnish like that either. Smells like cheap knockoff to me.
    Guy~

7. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

WOW, thats some wierd lookin gold ya got there in the orient huh?

8. CoinGal07

CoinGal07 Still Collecting

I'd give a quarter for it but am afraid I'd win & have to pay the $20 shipping :) Interesting there's no shipping insurance offered for the coin ~ I can't imagine shipping a $32k coin without it!

What a scam ~ I doubt all 436 of his purchased items (if it truly was him) don't total more than $50 all together, has never sold any coin or other item for that matter on ebay, and immediately comes out w/a $32K coin and high dollar stamps for sell. So far no one else seems to be 'taken' by his ads; let's hope it ends the same.

9. rickyb

rickyb With a name like Ricky...

wow im glad no one bid on that because thas a lot of money for a terrible coin

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

In a class of its own?
    Yeah,the bogus class.

11. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

I know the postal service has a lot of offices, but this is the first I've heard that they have set up shop in Malaysia.

12. laskandino

laskandino Member

He's removed the auction. I sent him a message with a link to coinfacts.com, then he replied and said since several people had shown him evidence that it's a fake he was removing the auction. At least he was willing to concede and remove it.

13. CoinGal07

CoinGal07 Still Collecting

14. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

In which case it's not alone

15. rickyb

rickyb With a name like Ricky...

16. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I contacted the seller telling him his coin is fadke because there was no mint in Denver in 1898 and received this reply from him:

"DEAR FRIEND ,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR POSTING.IF YOU COULD JUSTIFY YOUR SOURCE OF INFORMATION WITH REGARD TO THIS COIN ON WHAT YOU HAVE POSTED I AM WILLING TO WITHDRAW THIS COIN FROM THE AUCTION.

I AM NOW POSTING THIS QUESTION TO THE OTHER BOARD MEMBERS/BUYERS OF ebay WHO COULD GIVE MORE INFORMATION WITH REGARD TO THIS "US 1898 GOLD LIBERTY/EAGLE $10 ERROR COIN" ON WHETHER IT IS A FAKE OR NOT.

PLEASE DO NOT HESISTATE TO email me on any information you may have on this coin.

WHEN I PLACED THIS COIN FOR AUCTION HERE I TOO DID CONSULT MY EXPERTS.

ONCE AGAIN IF THERE IS SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO SHOW THAT THIS COIN IS A FAKE,I WILL WITHDRAW IT FROM THE AUCTION.

THANK YOU
    rashan2328"

I did not waste my time with a reply.

17. laskandino

laskandino Member

I saw that question and response on the auction page after I read this thread the first time. I thought that might have been your question, but I don't know who's who on e-bay and on this forum yet. I understand why you didn't bother with a reply; he's just not worth your time and should have taken it upon himself to find out.

Draft saved Draft deleted