freddy star ate my hamster

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jimmy_goodfella, Aug 9, 2004.

1. jimmy_goodfella

jimmy_goodfella New Member

anyone idea what this coin is ?? has me baffled looks pretty new.I havent a clue

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jimmy_goodfella

satootoko

your the japanese expert on this board is it japanese ?

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

No way, no how!

It appears to be dated 2036 at the bottom, in Indian Sanskrit script. That would be approximately equivalent to 1980 in the Vikrama Samvat calendar used by followers of the Jain religion.

Chances are it is some kind of religious medal rather than a coin, but a look at the other side might be helpful.

5. jimmy_goodfella

6. jimmy_goodfella

heres the other side i assume this is the reverse and right way up but who knows.

im actually snowed under with coins at the moment i have bags and bags of them i bought a few 10kg lots off a charity organisation finding the odd decent one amougst them.

i also bough 178 oz of .500 silver uk coinage

400 jfk half dollars

and tons of other mixed lots ect off ebay and other places

utterly snowed under need to now con solidate it much harder picking through mixed lots of foriegn than say usa or uk coins or any specific type you just never know what your casting aside.There are some real weird coins in these last batches i got from everywhere imaginable.

[​IMG]

i just for some reason liked the look of this coin very regimental in its look all straght lines.i would be very suprised if its of any value at all just curiou about it.

7. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Based on the shape of the characters, I think you have it approximately upside down. That character at dead center may be a figure 1, but I still believe it is a Jain religious medal of some kind.
    You really need a Standard Catalog, but not necessarily the most recent edition for IDing most of your coins. Try Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Alibris sites for used copies, as well as checking eBay. Good luck!

8. jimmy_goodfella

You really need a Standard Catalog, but not necessarily the most recent edition for IDing most of your coins. Try Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Alibris sites for used copies, as well as checking eBay. Good luck!

most definetly right its just ive bought so many books recently im a bit reluctant to go splash out again but yes i think i have no choice.one a couple year old will do im sure to give a general idea :)

gonna look on ebay for one just now.

i actually have 2 of that coin showing i think its base metal but you cant be sure.

9. jimmy_goodfella

thanks once again for your help satoot, i think if you dont know on here none else will but i never know :)

10. jimmy_goodfella

NEW Krause 2005 Standard Catalogue of World Coins 1901-Present.

32nd Edition. Paperback 2344 pages. Krause Publications. 2004.

39.99 uk pounds from spinks ( they publish the main uk coin books)

Draft saved Draft deleted