FreakysFugio got NCS graded!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by FreakyGarrettC, Mar 5, 2009.

1. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

I FINALLY got confirmation from NCS that they conserved and "details graded" my fugio. :) The thing is the green is still there! :( I dont have the coin in hand yet, I payed $3 for a digital photo from NCS so I could see it before they shipped it back to me. What do you guys think? :eek:
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is it just me or is all of the green gunk still there!?!? :computer:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

I say . . .

Warm up the microwave! :mouth:

Ribbit :cool:

4. FreakyGarrettC

:eek:dd: :eek:

5. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Were they supposed to remove the green stuff?

Maybe they forgot.

6. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

All kidding aside . . . It's Dremeltime! :mouth:

Now you get to practice opening a slab, without destroying it (Dremel), so you can finish where they left off and then stick it back in the slab. :D

Ribbit :cool:

7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Since the green stuff is NOT foreign matter on the coin but the results of the coin reacting with the environment, they weren't going to remove it.

8. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Maybe ! When submitting to NCS, be very, very specific what you want them to do in writing.

9. FreakyGarrettC

Huh? I thought they would know to remove the neon green stuff that is probably damaging the coin when I checked off the conserve box.

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I don't think that verdigone could have done much more for the obverse as the pits look deep, but the verdigris on the rev could have been very improved in my opinion. But it is a rare coin, so tough decision, but ....

I do like the coin, and it probably doesn't look as bad as the photo on the rev.

Jim

11. FreakyGarrettC

Oh no it looks that bad on the reverse in person. Think alien vomit green. :)
    I still really like the coin a lot though. I just need to get the green off! I will call and complain to NCS later. :cool: And if that doesnt work I will threaten to cancel my membership. :whistle:
    I will give NCS another shot at it if they do it for free. If not then time for an at home chemical bomb! :rolleyes:

12. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

"Upon further review..."

I'm almost certain Kanga is right. I don't think they'll remove the verdigris. They only remove foreign matter (varnish, etc.)

"Isn't verdigris foreign matter ?" No, not entirely. It is a copper salt (sulfate ?). The copper came from the coin itself. Thus removing verdigris removes some of the coin, just like dipping.

13. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

I think if you don't like it, I'll send you a postage-paid envelope and you can send it to me.

14. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

There's not really a way to remove the verdigris. It's embedded into the matrix of the coin's surface. You could take it off, but you'd take healthy metal with it, and you would leave behind patches of bright, shiny copper.

15. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

I'll have to check, but I know that copper sulfate is blue. I'm thinking copper carbonate... No verdigris is not foreign matter.

16. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I would call them and politely ask them what they could do to remove the green gunk , other than the big green thing it's a nice looking coin , I'd rather remove a little copper to get rid of the green , but that's just me , don't know too much about early coppers . Dremmel time sounds about right .
    rzage

17. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

Yikes, Garrett - how disappointing. I understand your frustration. Do give NCS a call and discuss the issue. They will be able to look at the pics they took and explain themselves. Please let us know what they say......should be educational for all.

18. FreakyGarrettC

We called NCS this morning and spoke with Craig. They claimed it was not active corrosion so it did not need to be removed. :rolling: I now know to do a little sometin sometin on the coin BEFORE I send it to NCS. :goof:

19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Nice coin! I wish I had it!!!

20. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

"Alien vomit green"? ..Oh, yeah. I'd take that coin. I could live with fluorescent puke. Send it here. I'll hold on to it for you.

Still a great coin.

Bruce

21. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

Nice coin Garrett! Did I miss the story on this one? Where did it come from?

Draft saved Draft deleted