Freaky's Fugio #2 - the worst of ebay!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by FreakyGsMom, Feb 7, 2009.

1. FreakyGsMom

FreakyGsMom Member

Hi Guys,

I don't know if you remember the thread or not, but last month we bought what was listed as a club rays variety Fugio for Garrett on ebay. When it came it, G posted it to the forum for opinions. The overwhelming consensus was that it wasn't a club rays variety, which was what we thought we were buying. :( We had bid on this one because G wanted to expand the Fugio collection with a club rays, so since it was misattributed we returned it to the seller the very next day. We emailed the seller and notified them the coin was being returned with reason why and also put a note in the pkg with the same info, so the seller was made fully aware the coin wasn't a club rays. It cost $8.00 to return it and $13.10 for the shipping when we bought it, so we're out over $21. due to their "mistake." The seller took a week to refund our money, but didn't refund any shipping charges even though it was not as described. I emailed and called the seller to no avail, so I filed a SNAD dispute with paypal which is ongoing. :( The seller has relisted the same coin with the same listing. It's still identified as a club rays even though they're fully aware it's pointed rays. We're new to buying coins on ebay, but I'm amazed it's this easy for a seller to repeatedly scam buyers. The other thing we've discovered in dealing with this seller is that negative feedback is instantly buried by pages and pages of positive feedback by buyers that make hundreds of purchases from ONLY this seller. :confused: There are numerous buyers that are the only bidder on an item over and over again, so even after I left 2 negative feedbacks their rating went up and my feedback was buried on page 9 the very next day after I left it. I've accepted the fact that I paid $21 to be educated on what to look out for on ebay, but do you have any ideas on how I could prevent someone else from falling for the same scam we did? I've notified ebay of the above, but I haven't heard back from them. The seller is world_coinz:hammer::hammer::hammer:

This is the listing of the Fugio when we bought it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280302995786

This is where they have relisted it (1day 22hrs remaining):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270340189206
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fastfun1111

fastfun1111 Senior Member

Hi,
    I agree Ebay has some horrible policies. I sell on Ebay (not near as much as I use to though) and it seems to me that they are trying to eliminate the little man. I have had items that ebay has kicked off (but kept my listing fee) even though I see the same item listed the same way on several dealers Ebay stores. I think and hope that soon some one will emerge and give Ebay some competion so that people are treated more fairly.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

I have reported the auction.

FYI, I would never buy a coin from high-volume seller with less than a 99.9% rating.

5. tenacious

tenacious Member

FreakyGsMom, I'm sorry to hear about your problem. It's a very frustating thing to deal with. I hope your PayPal dispute is resolved in your favor. But even if it isn't, you got off relatively easy only losing $21. Many of us have had to pay more for our eBay education.

For the future, here's a tip. If you don't know a seller well, check them out using:

Toolhaus.org

- Put the seller's name in the "Negative/Neutral Feedback" box.
    - Then click "Received by".

It will show you only the seller's negative and neutral feedbacks. It's much easier than trying to scroll through the pages and pages of eBay's feedback lists. (I actually think eBay intentional makes it hard to read a seller's negative feedbacks.)

For instance, here's the negatives for world_coinz.

Now when you read all those negatives together, is this someone you would buy from? No way! So maybe Toolhaus will help you in the future.

Threads just like you've posted educates new collectors about this specific seller and eBay in general. The sharing of information and bad eBay experiences helps by informing other collectors.

You may have saved someone already. :)

But the most frustrating part of all of this is that eBay does very little about crooked sellers even after many complaints and irrefutable evidence.

Good luck! And you're not alone!

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

And if at all possible, ask the forum before you bid. I know some think it might encourage others to buy over them, but most would not do that unless they already had a bid into the dealer. I personally have sent 4 " 1917 Lincoln Double dies" back to the sellers. 2 just re advertised as "I am not an expert on errors"......disclaimer. The other 2 thanked me, apologized and did not relist. There are good dealers out there also.

Jim

7. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

You should recover your costs thru the paypal dispute, just be sure and have return tracking # available, thats the first thing they will ask you.

Jim, you see those 17 DDO's as well huh? All it takes is one to make a whole lot of gambles worth it tho. Keep trying and use your paypal thingy when they fail;)

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

It is possible that if we all report it as

Reason for Report listing policy violation
    Detailed Reason misleading title
    If more than one reason applies, please select the most applicable reason.
    Additional Information
    intentionally misleading or deceptive

and then explain that this is not club rays but pointed rays. They MAY pull it.

9. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I've found that doing a chargeback through my credit card gets their attention much faster than messing with paypal.

10. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Yeah, I've seen sellers pile up positives too. But look at this situation. He knowingly re-listed it wrong. Why? Because more than likely he can rip off someone else and they'll never know the difference. He'll get an undeserved positive from that transaction, guaranteed.

You just wonder how many negatives these sellers deserve and they don't get. I've found many people are afraid to give sellers neutral or negatives. People just don't want to cause controversy so some just won't leave any feedback. While others who got ripped off unknowingly will leave positives. Probably why some of these high volume sellers are high volume. You can sell tons of cheap items and keep the feedback list full. So when somebody has a problem,the negative is buried in a day.

I think ebay should just get out of the coin business. There needs to be a better controlled site for coins.

11. FreakyGsMom

FreakyGsMom Member

Someone just told me that world_coinz was once a username - centsles - run that through toolhaus.

12. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

13. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

I'm surprised Jack & RLM haven't weighed in on centsles? :eek: I guess you've got to say "centsles" three times for them to appear . . .

CENTSLES

CENTSLES

CENTSLES

Now they should show up to give their 2 centsles' worth. ;)

Ribbit :D

14. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

I returned the only coin I ever won from him. It was an 09 VDB that had been recolored. I cheap lesson for me. Now I follow Leadfoot's example when choosing an eBay seller. Check that, I haven't bough on eBay in 3 years, I just know too many reputable dealers now and I take more care when adding to my collection now than I used to.

15. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

I neg'd centsles a while back. So he's changed his name but not his game.:eek:

Bruce

16. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I don't believe it , I was ripped by the same person , for what was supposed to be a California Fractional Gold piece , won my paypal contest , sorry for your troubles I will report the new listing , people like him think they are above everyone else and believe me he has no morals about ri[pping someone off .
    rzage

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I bought several from him without a problem. He, at least used to, sell some PCGS certified and his service was descent. I also got a couple NNC from him. Both were junk. 1 was so cheap I did not worry about it. The other went back without any problems on the refund.

18. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

The NNC stuff was where the problems usually came from. ;)

Ribbit :)

19. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

I also bought a NNC coin from them when I bought the fugio. It was a 1884 farthing that was overgraded but ok I guess.

20. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

Confessions of an ebay junkie! ;)

21. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Be careful with ebay for raw coins. I don't buy on ebay anymore unless I know the seller. If you have questions about a current auction post a link here, cointalk members will give you input.

Draft saved Draft deleted