France: silver blanc of Charles VI ("The Mad"), ca. 1380-1422, Paris mint

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Sep 27, 2021.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. 9

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. 8

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. 7

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. 6

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

France: silver blanc of Charles VI ("The Mad"), ca. 1380-1422, Paris mint
    01-Chas6-blanc-frame.png
    Obverse: KAROLVS ✫ FRANCORVM ✫ REX, three crowns surrounding French coat of arms containing triple fleur-de-lis on shield.
    Reverse: ✚ SIT ✫ NOMEN ✫ DNI ✫ BENEDICTVM, cross with crowns and fleur-de-lis in alternating angles.
    Issuer: Charles VI, King of France (1380-1422).
    Specifications: Silver, 26 mm, 3.26 g (standards for the type- stats for this example unrecorded prior to encapsulation). Struck at Paris.
    Grade: PCGS AU53, cert. #37190960.
    Reference: Numista-36082, PCGS-777368, Duplessy-377C.
    Provenance: Ex-Michael Swoveland, dba WNC Coins, Asheville, NC, USA*, 23 May 2021.
    Notes: One major historical milestone of Charles' reign was the defeat of his army by the English at the Battle of Agincourt in 1415. Charles VI was initially called le Bien-Aimé ("the Well-Beloved"), but was plagued by mental illness, and as his psychotic episodes worsened, he became known as Charles le Fol ("Charles the Mad"). One particularly strange manifestation of Charles' madness was glass delusion, whereby he became convinced that he was made of glass, and had iron rods sewn into his clothing to prevent himself from shattering!
    Comments: It was the colorful history of Charles VI himself that primarily made this coin appealing to me, though its era in general is historically interesting.

01-Chas6-blanc-frame.png 02-Chas6-blanc-TrueView.png 03-Chas6-blanc-black.png 04-Chas6-blanc-gradient.png 05-Chas6-blanc-draft-white.png 06-Chas6-blanc-coinscape.png 07-Chas6-blanc-obv.png 08-Chas6-blanc-rev.png 09-Chas6-blanc-slab.png

015000S

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I like it a lot! Great story and a great looking coin. Thanks for sharing.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. tibor

tibor Well-Known Member

The medieval bug has really latched on. An outstanding example. I wonder if this walked into Mike's shop or was it an internet/auction find. His is the only BM that I've been in the last 20 years that carries anything nice like this.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

I think it was part of his personal medieval collection rather than something that walked into the shop. Which isn't to say that interesting ancient and medieval things don't walk into his shop periodically- I think they sometimes do.

6. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Supporter! Supporter

Rob, really nice...I voted "10", but I'm a sucker for these...:D:singing:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

I'm glad it got your vote of coinfidence. :) Other people's appreciation of my coins increases my own appreciation of them.

I went "8", myself. If it's in my collection, you can be pretty well assured I'll vote 7-10 in the poll. And if there is ever something I personally consider a "7", it's on its way out.

I like this coin for its history, and it seems a nice example, though French medievals typically interest me a little less than the coins from other medieval states. I guess maybe because the designs tend to be a bit plain and heraldic rather than showing many people or animals or other pictorial elements as much.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  8. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

@lordmarcovan Beautiful example!!! Congrats!

I have a humble coin which in its design is similar to yours. It is an anonymous "Jeton" from France dated to the approximate reign of King Charles VI.
    upload_2021-9-27_13-23-13.png
    France, (probably Tournai), ca. late 14th – early 15th century AD.
    Jeton ‘Arms Type’, copper alloy, 28 mm.
    Obv.: French heater shield, '.o.' above, 3 annulets on sides; +AVE MARIA GRACIA.
    Rev.: Cross fleury within quatrefoil tressure, alternating 'V' & 'M' in quadrants, '.o.'
    in external quatrefoil angles.
    Attrib.: Mitchiner, “Jetons, Medalets & Tokens”, Vol. 1., 680-693.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    lordmarcovan and PlanoSteve like this.
  9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice example, Rob.

blanc.jpeg
    Charles VI "The Mad”, (1380 - 1422 A.D.)
    AR Blanc Guénar
    O: + KAROLVS: FRANCORV: REX; Shield of arms.
    R: + SIT: nOmE: DnI: BENEDICTV; Cross with two crowns and two lis.
    2.9g
    29mm
    DuP 377

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

I like that. It has character. Jetons are fun.

I just knew you were gonna post one! Bravo.

philologus_1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted