Found in Circulation

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by joesmom, Sep 6, 2005.

1. joesmom

joesmom Member

I'm guessing that I'm not the only casual collector of star notes around here. I pull them out of my change and sometimes even get lucky and the girls at the bank have a few waiting for me.

I thought that a post like the "Found in Circulation" for coins, only for star notes or any others of interest (radar notes, poker hands, low serial #s, etc) would be fun. So post away...what have you found lately?

I'll start...

Waiting in line at the McD's drive thru the other day, I pulled a $20 out to get ready to pay only to notice that it is a Series 1996 star note from Boston...quite crisp even! I'm thinking, holy cow...I have no problem setting aside the random $1 star notes here & there but a $20?! :eek: Needless to say, it is safely tucked away...why? I don't know. I collect Morgans & other coins, etc...but I tend to hoard star notes. I'm such a geek :rolleyes:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I hoarded * notes too for a long time...then I used them to buy a NICE coin for my collection...maybe that is one way you will get that NICE Morgan you have been wanting!!

Speedy

4. KLJ

KLJ Really Smart Guy

I withdraw $100 a week from the ATM as gas/spending money (lately that means just gas with some change left over). One time a few weeks ago, I got 5 consecutive $20 notes. Usually that means they just got a new shipment of notes. When a new series comes out, I usually save a few consecutive $1 notes in the same condition when I get them at the grocery store. But 5 consecutive $20's?!? I had to spend them before I did something my wife would make me regret.

5. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

I let a $10 * pass out of my hand paying for a few things a couple of months ago.....noticed it too late with too much of a line behind me to say anything.....grrrrr

I was "rewarded" a few weeks later by getting a $1* and a $20* in one day :)

6. bzcollektor

bzcollektor SSDC Life Member

I pray that MY Atm spits out some crisp $20 Star Notes!!!!

7. Lee

Lee Junior Member

What is a "star note"?

I'm a newbie at this, so what is a star note?

8. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

I'm assuming its a note that has a star in the serial code. I actually just opened this thread before starting one of my own, as I found a bill today where the serial number was B00000993 and then a star. At first I thought it may be because the number was low, but I wasn't sure. Can anyone explain why some of them have stars?

9. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

A * note is printed when a note is messed up or cut wrong or something happens to it that it must be burned....all of the * notes have lower numbers--I had one that was 00131313*....Most of the time in UNC condishion a * note will get a few dollars over its face...$1 will go for $2 and $2 will got for $3-$4...

Speedy

10. joesmom

joesmom Member

Cool find...a star note with that low of a serial number! What series is it? If it's in decent shape it should be worth at least a few bucks over face I would think.

11. KLJ

KLJ Really Smart Guy

Even if it's run of the mill circulated, I'd keep it. Joesmom is right. Low serial numbers are more desirable.

12. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

It's a 2003 I'm pretty sure. I'm at the university library right now, so I can't say for sure.

13. crispy1995

crispy1995 Spending Toms like crazy**

SHAME SHAME!! I found a Series 1999 $5 * note in change, and in [voice breaks] Ci..Ci..Circulated condition! How could someone do that? Have they no shame?! :eek: :confused: :mad:

14. 2b1ask1

2b1ask1 Senior Member

I haven't looked around to see if the * notes were worth anything but I started hanging onto them lately because I heard they were collectables. I don't have any of those low numbers though.

Attached Files:

15. kvasir

kvasir Show me the Money**

Why then, are star notes released into circulation? Would these notes pass the counterfeit tests?

16. 2b1ask1

2b1ask1 Senior Member

The star notes are released into circulation for replacement of defective notes as Speedy explained and in some cases to replace certain numbers that have been determined not to be used. This is the best explaination I have been able to find. Hope this helps and hope this is right. I don't know any other reason why it would be done.

17. kvasir

kvasir Show me the Money**

Ahh! Thanks. There I was thinking the star notes were the ones having defects and the asterix is used to show that note has something wrong with it. Now it make sense.

18. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

Bringing this thread back to the front of the line :D ....

Nothing major, but it is my 4th Star note for the year

Bank of NY $1 2003 series star

19. Metalman

Metalman New Member

I was given this one in change last weekend !!

1969-D star

Rick

Attached Files:

20. silver surfer

silver surfer Senior Member

This 1$* note from grandfathers wallet wasn't exactly found in circulation.
    My mother kept the wallet as a momento of her father who passed away in 1963.
    It contained 4 silver certificates including this one,not worth much but
    kind of neat anyway.

Attached Files:

21. That is a note worth holding on to. :eek: I would venture into the hundreds for a value depending of coarse on the dreaded word "condition".

I posted this once before but it was cool (to me at least) so I'll tell it again. A buddy and I went to a coin show and stopped of at the atm across the street from the show. I got $40 and he got $60. All were $20 stars from 1993 in crisp conditon. We went across the street to the show, found the booth marked "we buy currency" and sold them for $28 each.
    Being true capitalists we went back to the atm and emptied it till it stopped spitting out stars!! :D

But my single greatest, i.e. worth the most, was this note pulled from one of my vending machines several years ago. I got $102 for it on ebay. Not a bad turn around for $1.

happy hunting,

Michael

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted