Found in Circulation

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by BostonMike, Jan 1, 2007.

1. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

Went out to eat for new years and as we were leaving a tip, my friend was checking out a $10 FRN on the table. From where i was looking it looked new, but he made a comment that it was old. I took a closer peek, and it was a Series 1969 $10 A71652390A!

So i bought it from my buddy and took it home with me. Pretty good condition. Other than the one small fold in the center, it looks like a new bill. I thought it was onle of the mid-90's 10's right before they changed over to the new design.

It's my oldest circ find so far other than a pair of Series 1981 $20's i got during Xmas shopping. Prob not worth much over $10, but finding a 38-year old bill in circulation is pretty cool

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

probaly came out of someones collection. the only old note i have found is a $1 1981 series.

4. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

Probably. I'm gonna save it too. I doubt it's worth more than $10 right now, but it's older than I am so that's good enough for me

5. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

yea, i try to save the old style notes. i also try to save anything older than 1995.

6. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

I actually have a series 1990 $100 bill i've been saving. I'm been contemplating just spending it but it's nice to look at the older style bills after seeing the new stuff for a while.

7. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Hey BostonMike...
    Cool find..keep it for sure...

RickieB
    Central Massachusetts

8. xeno108

xeno108 New Member

another interesting side note is that the serial number contains no like numbers... not really sought out... but rare in itself.

9. NathansCoin

NathansCoin New Member

Natesdad
    Boston.

10. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

Wow, i didn't even notice that. You are right though. It's not often you see a bill with no like numbers

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

34 years, the 1969 series was issed until sometime in 1972. Still pretty good.

12. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

Yeah still older than I am. :)

I now find myself going out and buying small items with large bills. I pay for $1.98 coffee with a $20 since it will give me the largest amount of bills back and the chance to find something interesting. I almost can't wait to get back to the car to see if i have a star note or a wheat cent or a pre-1960 nickel.

13. DJP7x0s

DJP7x0s Sometimes Coins Arouse Me

I saved a bunch of old bills that I found in circulation. I had 5 1977 $20 bills that My boss paid me with. Then the very next day the bank gave me a 1969C $50 bill And I was amazed because every single one was crisp AU. two of the twenties were prob CU. Anyhow, I put them on Ebay, and started them at face value with an extra dollar for shipping. I listed them 4 weeks in a row with no bids. They didnt sell, so I bought 2 rolls of walking halves and just sent them as payment. Figured I would let some other coin collecter save them instead. I never was too into paper money. But for any of you who are, my uncle has almost $5,000 face value in old bills hes saved from circulation. Mostly $20 bills, but he has alot of $50, $10, and everything else actually. But I think hes only got 6 or 7 $100 bills. And he dosent save anything after 1950. I looked in my price guide and most of his $50 bills are 1950C or D I believe, which is the most valuable that year. Anyhow, hes looking to sell them, he wants to buy bags of wheaties.

14. Bogie

Bogie Member

I got a 2004 series %20 today from the bank its ED 69421421 B think its worth keeping ?

15. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Here's one I received recently in change

Attached Files:

16. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

The other day my mom gave me 2 dollars to something for her an one of them was a star note. I put it in about Fine-very Fine condition, but it is neat to find things like that.

17. BostonMike

BostonMike Senior Member

Got myself another keeper

Series 1995 $1 J71445526H

18. 1991retiredarmy

1991retiredarmy New Member

My son gave me a 1934 A $10.00 he got in change it was kind of neat to look at. He also gave me a 1953 B $5.00 Red seal note. I figure somebody got into somebody's collection. I seem to get quite a few Franklin half dollars at the bowling alley after one of those cosmic nights they have. I just know they were taken from somebody's coin stash.

Draft saved Draft deleted