Found an ancient in my foreign bulk...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rad1964, Jul 13, 2009.

1. rad1964

rad1964 Senior Member

Hello I believe I found (either real or fake), a Coponius, procurator of Judea under Augustus, 6-9 AD, bronze prutah

as I identified using this page: http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/judaea/coponius/t.html

however it only weighs 1.4 grams and looks like, from side view, that the rims are two different stuck together, making me think this is a reproduction.

What do you experts think I have?

And the golden question, if its authentic, whats it worth?

[​IMG]

Gracias!
    RAD

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Trp

Trp Junior Member

Well, I'm not an expert in this area, but the shape looks too round for me to be real ancient.

4. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

Its definitely not a real ancient. It looks more like something from the Reader's Digest.

5. danielf

danielf Member

Not an ancient

I am quite certain that it is not authentic. It was designed to look like one of the procurator coins, probably from Coponius (Hendin 635) although the year on the coin (that would determine which procurator) is completely made up. It looks more like the square root symbol than any valid years.

Coponius would have had a lambda stigma for the year, so perhaps this was meant to look more like a year 41 Marcus Ambibulus (Hendin 638) which would have MA (By the way, the year 41 was of Augustus' rule - not Ambibulus, of course).

-Daniel

6. Gao

Gao Member

I agree. Nothing about it looks right, and you seem to have described it having a casting seam, which you rarely see on authentic ancient struck coins. It's a modern fake of some sort. You can see an extremely similar fake here.

7. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

As said before, it is a comple fake attempt at a bronze prutot of a Roman procurator of Judaea. Its unconvincing in every way...

8. rad1964

rad1964 Senior Member

Anyone wannna buy a fake coin? $35.00 :D *grin*

Thanks for the assessment people. I thought this was way too good looking for a 4ad coin.

9. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

There are plenty of coins from that time period that are still in good shape...its not the shape its in as much as the details and style are just all wrong.

10. uncwstudent

uncwstudent New Member

Where do you buy foreign coins from?

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree its not kosher, (sorry for the pun). I have seen similar items that were attached to a biblical coin book a few years back. Not really intended to fool a collector as its too far different from an authentic coin to fool someone who has ever seen a real one.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted