Found a Double Die Reverse 1980D Dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Firmso, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Firmso

Firmso Coin Dawg

I found a pocket change Double Die 1980D Dime but I think it is in really bad condition. I would greatly appreciate Comments by the experts regarding the grade and collectible value of it. I Will attach a better image once I get it right.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

you (at least I) can't tell anything from that picture.

4. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

There are none known for that date/mintmark but

There are none known for that date/mintmark but I cannot see the photo enough to tell. Many dimes in the 1980's have huge thick lettering that sure looks like a doublED die but are not - I'm betting that's what you have. Also remember the correct term is doublED not double die.
    Look at your coin and see if the secondary image (the portion you think is doubled) looks flat and shelve-like as if the metal has been scooted, pushed or pulled. If so it's mechanical/machine doubling and not a doublED die.
    Keep searching!

5. just coins

just coins New Member

Better pics are needed to see if it's a doubled die or not could always be a new variety out there undiscovered. It could be a class 6 distended hub doubling extra thickness on the letters and if there curved or wavy that is a clear indication of a class V1 doubled die.
    JC

6. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

As a rule, class 6 doubled dies show thicker devices. The thickness is always more noticable in the parts of the devices that are parrallel to the rim and is not noticable on the areas of devices that are perpendicular to (point towards) the rim.

7. just coins

just coins New Member

Were talking about the extra thickness in the letters a dead give away for class 6, the waviness in the letters ,an easy way to know you have this class of doubling.

No other class has this kind of effect on the letters except V1 :whistle:

Jazzcoins Joe.

8. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

As I said above "The thickness is always more noticable in the parts of the devices that are parrallel to the rim" but since the photo is not large enough to tell this, then it's all guess work at this time.

9. just coins

just coins New Member

I guess your right
    it's guess work right now correct.
    JC:)

Draft saved Draft deleted