Found a $100 Mexican Coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by bvz, Dec 17, 2004.

1. bvz

bvz New Member

Has a picture of a V. Carranza (bearded fellow) on the front, a gryphon of some sort on the back. Dated 1988. Is this real, and worth anything? Thanks.

Bill

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

It's real, but, no... not really worth anything, it's just something that you can collect if you like it.... If it's uncirculated, it might be worth a couple of dollars in usd....

capthank likes this.
  4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Let me be among the first to welcome you to the forum Bill.

Krause does list a 100 peso aluminum-bronze coin - KM#493 - with Mr. Carranza's facial hair prominently displayed on the reverse. The 1988 mintage is given as 433.1-million. The obverse displays the country name, and the commonly used Mexican national arms, a dragon holding a serpent, which is probably what you identified as a "gryphon".

The catalog value is 30¢ VF, 50¢ XF, $2 Unc. and $2.75 BU in the current Krause.

Since they revoked my mind-reading license a few years ago, I don't express opinions on whether something I haven't seen is real or not, but my guess is that it is, since coins of that value are rarely counterfeited. :rolleyes:

capthank likes this.
  5. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

In Mexico this symbol: $ means peso, not dollar. Additionally, since 1988 Mexico has devalued its currency. What that means is that that 100 peso coin from 1988 now has a Mexican face value of 0.1 pesos, or 10 centavos. At the current exchange rate that makes it worth about 1 US cent, if you can find anyone to exchange it. The good news is that following the devaluing of its currency Mexico put a limit on how much longer the old pesos would be legal currency and that has expired meaning that the coin is no longer legal and is no longer circulating. This means that it is much less common than it was 15 years ago. Still, Pennycase is right that it has no real value unless it is really beautifully uncirculated.

CD

capthank likes this.
  6. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Down here where I live ,I can buy hand fulls of devalued mexican coins for a 1.00 ,with many of them being early 1900's .

I keep my eyes open for the early silver coins but the rest are really of no value.

capthank likes this.
  7. CoinFolk

CoinFolk New Member

i have like 5000$ in old mexican pesos

capthank likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Tequila time!

GeorgeM and MMiller750 like this.
  9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

When they devalued the peso (1994?) 1000 pesos, were worth 1 new peso.
    The peso today is worth a nickel. (approx.) So 100 pesos BEFORE the devaluation is worth 1/10 of a nickel.
    It is worth more as a coin to a collector, than any face value money.

eddiespin likes this.
  10. Beverly Randolph

Beverly Randolph New Member

The coin i found is from 1944

11. paddyman98

What coin? o_O

12. Arjay M. Fernandez

Arjay M. Fernandez New Member

I have a coin V. Caranza 100$ old dated 1986

13. Lacie Nyhuise

Lacie Nyhuise New Member

The coin I found is from Mexico and it is a 100 dollar coin the date is 1986

14. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

Someone didn't read the thread...

15. Michael K

In Mexico they devalued the Peso 1000-1 around 1992.
    Your 100 peso coin is worth 1/10th of a peso in new money. 1 peso is about a nickel US so your coin is worth 1/2 cent US. It has more value as a collector coin.
    Perhaps as much as a dollar depending on condition.

16. Allen Dees

Allen Dees New Member

What Mexico coins were gold and what Mexico coins were made with silver??

17. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

The silver-wash pesos in the 60s were the last circulating Silver in Mexico, if memory serves (they were 10% silver and hold less than a US$ of silver value today):
    http://www.coinflation.com/mexico/

18. Ms lady gamer

Ms lady gamer New Member

Is there any value to a 5000 note peso from i believe 1988 as well with the triplets/twins (that went to fight in the war )on the face of the bill

19. paddyman98

Suggestion..
    You should create a new thread over at the Paper Money forum of CoinTalk. Pictures are needed.

capthank likes this.
  20. Michael K

Quick math says 5000 old pesos are worth 5 new pesos today, or .25 cents American. However, if the note is in good condition, then it would be worth more as a collectible, than face value money.

21. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Are you saying that it is worth one fourth of a cent (.25) or 25 cents?

Draft saved Draft deleted