Foreign Coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by laz, Oct 11, 2002.

1. laz

laz New Member

Do you collect world coins? Are you well versed in the subject? I just opened a new section of Error World focused on regular world coins,and we need experienced persons to manage the club room.If your an advanced collector,and have gained alot from numismatics,it's time to give something back to the hobby! Knowledge shared is knowledge preserved,so share what you know.
    I'm currently seeking a manager and a few assistant manager's to get the club going and make it a success.This would include developing the club and promoting it.This club room should be a success as very few World Coin groups are on the internet.
    If you'd like to play an active roll in developing and running a world coin collecting club,as part of the Error World coin clubs send a email to..
    founder@errorworld.org - serious inquiry's only please,as this is a serious offer.Member's are also welcome,so come check it out,you'll be glad you did.You'll get the opportunity to see a club from it's earliest days as it grows and things begin to develop.
    http://groups.msn.com/WorldCoinCollecting/_whatsnew.msnw

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Around the World in 80 Dollars

We tend to see almost everything as "US" or "World" not just coins. The world is a big place. You would put collectors of Chinese Cash in with Collectors of Swiss Shooting Thalers, just because neither is US? I mean, I understand it. I just see no reason to perpetuate it, but the choice is not mine.

Would "world" include "ancients"? It usually does. How about banknotes? or is this just for "coins" (however defined)?

I am not an active collector of material, but my interests can probably be described as "World" which includes US as a subset. For instance, just on the surface, there are obvious strong similarities between French coins and the US Barbers. The Walking Liberty Half was cribbed from Oscar Roty's "La Semeuse" on French coins.

If you look at an Athenian "new style" tetradrachm and a US Indianhead cent, you can see that it is the same coin, only that the helmet was replaced by feathers. Large cents, Seateds, the Walker (or Semeuse), all have classic antecedents. The designers at the US Mint used their coin cabinet as a standard for creating a neo-classical coinage.

Collecting "World Coins" (or banknotes) lets you develop themes, such as Ships on Coins, Birds on Coins, Elephants on Coins, and so on.

You can track the history of a place whose "nationality" changed several times over the course of history, (Aachen or Aix-la-Chapelle, the court of Charlemagne, for instance, or Palermo, Sicily for another).

I have many favorites among ancients. Among the more modern coins I have written about are the Tibetan Tangkas. I even learned to read Tibetan in order to write about them for Coin News (Britain).

World Coins covers a lot of ground. That is why I enjoy the topic of US Numismatics more from a general view derived from my interest in World.

Would you include the silver "jetons" that are like US Silver Art Bars? These private coins or medalettes were and are popular in Europe (and Latin America) as private commemoratives of fairs, contests, and other events.

I could go on at length. I guess this all boils down to "Yes. I am interested in World Coins."

Thomas Tosh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted