Food stamps anyone?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by fretboard, Aug 10, 2009.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Just kidding, anyone know what this is worth? I've heard it's from the 60's, I don't really know if it's that old or not but it's old. I'm not trying to sell it or anything, I just wonder if anyone collects these?

It's the only paper I own besides some 2 dollar bills. :bow:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      40.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Food Stamps have always been illegal to possess except by those on the Food Stamp Program. Nevertheless, there has been an underground group of collectors of these items. Rocky Rockholt did a limited edition book a few years ago on Food Stamps.

You can get an idea of when this is from by the series date which is in the lower left corner. It is not one of the original series because that series does not have a series date or serial number for the 50 cent notes.

The serial numbers on Food Stamps are interesting. All the coupons from the same book have the same serial number. They also have replacements. In some series the replacements are stars, in others the serial number lacks a suffix letter. The booklet covers also have serial numbers and have replacements also.

4. fretboard

Well I appreciate the heads up and I will refrain from attaining anymore. It's more of a conversation piece for me anyways, but I never even thought about the legal issue.

I was actually surprised to see them on ebay but every now and then you can. If the post brought a smile to anyone's face that's a good thing. Now I hope the federales don't try to contact me. :D

5. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I do not usually promote lawbreaking but it is doubtful the Feds will hunt anyone down who has these in their collection.

They go for good money on Ebay, especially full books. I think that is funny considering they were often sold at a discount to obtain cash by users on the program.

6. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

yeah i see they sell on ebay all the time. i wouldnt worry about it. if its something you like keep on searching them out:thumb:

7. fretboard

:whistle:

Whew!! :D

8. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I think its a neat idea to collect these food stamps. First time I ever heard of anyone doing so. Traci

9. lettow

lettow Senior Member

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Neil Shafer's column in the September Banknote Reporter indicates these are now legal to collect.

10. itsallngoodtime

itsallngoodtime Beachhunter

I think in would be fun to Ripley. I would hang onto it these days you never know?.
    Bob

11. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

We used them when I was a kid. I always wondered if they were collectable. I remember my mom getting some sort of food stamp coin for change.

12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I have seen some on e-bay recently that looked brand new still
    In the book!

13. tlasch

tlasch Penny Hoarder & Food Stamp Aficionado

Cannot find any on ebay, can someone who has a few extra pm me I would like to work out a deal for either a $1 or a $5 FS note

14. krispy

krispy krispy

Try posting a 'wanted' listing in the Classifieds under WANTED.

15. tlasch

tlasch Penny Hoarder & Food Stamp Aficionado

Will do thank you

16. sunflower

sunflower New Member

I really like this image. It is cool. A lucky buy if you ask me.!

17. fretboard

Yeah, sometimes these food stamps sell for big money, like up to $20 on ebay. Of course I tried to sell one and I only got around $5 bucks for it.:D I still have the one above tho cause it has a sentimental vibe to it. lol

18. sunflower

sunflower New Member

I hate to say it, but such food stamps (certificates) might come back into fashion again. I wish it were not so, but I would not be surprised at all.

19. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

They never went anywhere....just changed to an electronic debit card, so they still exist, just not as paper pieces.

20. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

i have an opa token that is sort of similarly related and possibly a Chinese meal certificate

21. sunflower

sunflower New Member

What does it look like? Any links of similar ones to share?

Draft saved Draft deleted