First Spouse TPG Question

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Ladies First, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

Hi Guys-

I have 4 MS Taylor's that I want to send to PCGS for a First Strike but I noticed that there are identical scratch-like marks on all four of the coins in the field to the left the obverse portrait (between the R in Margaret and OD in God. Could these be scratches in the die or die polish? And if so, would it effect the chances for a 70? I've seen some NGC 70s with flaws in the planchet. It also seems unusual that all 4 coins would come from the same die, is it possible that it's a flaw in the hub? I just got them yesterday and if I send them back I doubt it will be in time for FS designation.

Thanks for any thoughts!
    -Robin

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I think the fact that you've opened up the boxes and taken a peak of what you've received precludes you from getting "first strike" designation. I believe the coins must be shipped to the TPG'er unopened in order to obtain such a designation. I could be wrong though, and if I am someones gonna let us know....:)

4. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

As long as I postmark them by the cutoff, FS is good! They still charge for handling as if I sent in all that OGP though!

5. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I would say that if the coins have scratch marks, you have no chance for a 70.

6. Hudson James

Hudson James Junior Member

Sounds like the choice is to either submit scratched coins for a FS67-68 or to return them and submit your new coins for a regular label and hope for a 70.

Which is more important to you ? Is it the mythical FS piece of paper in the plastic holder or is it the mythical grade of microscopic perfect known as the MS70.

Personally, I've never seen a MS70 from either company with a flaw, planchet or otherwise.

Best of luck with your decision.

7. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

Thanks for your advice; I understand that the FS and the 70 are both mythical.

I guess my lingering question is how can 4 coins have the exact same scratch-like marks?

8. green18

Those scratches are on the coin and not the holder?

9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I think, They were on the actual coin!!

10. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

Yes, the top of the holder is removed so the marks are on the coin--and all four coins have the same vertical striations; most significantly, the pair that touch the OD in God. There's lines going a different direction just to the right of In God We Trust which are also repeated exactly on the other 3 coins.

11. Danr

Danr Numismatist

send the defective coins back

12. green18

My feeling too. These coins cost too much money for one to put up with inferior workmanship. If these coins were in a mint set or a proof set I'd probably live with it and just order another set.

13. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

I'm still trying to get better at predicting the 69/70 breaking point. Here's a couple surprises.

The first pic is a coin I sent to NGC with two other Jacksons. This one had a visible debit like a tiny, tiny pebble was struck into the field and then removed (follow the nose to the left). I thought the other two looked perfect. The one pictured with the debit? 70. The other two? 69.

So I bought an NGC 70 on eBay, the second pic. It's hard to tell in the photo but there is what appears to be a scuff mark between the top 2nd and 3rd stars. Shifting it in the light, it has that milky, scuff-mark look!

Attached Files:

14. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

seriously now I wonder if TPGs know how to grade or if they use a dart board...

15. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Those coins are sharp!! Excellent :)

Draft saved Draft deleted