First lady 10 dollar coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by moneyfan, Mar 28, 2008.

1. moneyfan

moneyfan collector of coins/bills

so, who knows where i can find one of these coins? i have found some on the US Mint website for, like, $300. i would like one at a lower price. who knows how long it would take to get one fresh out of circulation.

thanks for any help.:hail::mouth::rolleyes::):smile

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

These coins have 1/2 ounce of gold in them. With gold trading at $946.60 (Thursday close) that is $468. 30 worth of gold. If you can find one for $300 you should buy it. I seriously doubt the US Mint is selling them for $300. Their price was over $400 last year when gold was less than $700.

Oh, and you will not live long enough to find one in circulation.

4. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

I assume you're referring to the First Spouse gold coins. The cheapest price on the US Mint web site is for the Dolley Madison uncirculated coin at $509.95. The Elizabeth Monroe proof coin is $619.95. Can you provide a link to where you saw a price of $300?

They are for sale on ebay and by many dealers who advertise in coin magazines. Expect to pay from $550 to $700 each for these coins from dealers depending on which one, but a lot less on ebay.

5. moneyfan

ok, us mint is selling them at 300 (maybe a tade bit more).
    sounding like lots of money.
    figures u would never find one in circulation. sigh.

6. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Think about it. Who would buy a coin for over $600 and spend it for $10? I would certainly like to meet him. And once he spent the coin I'm betting it would never leave the cash drawer and be handed to a customer as change.

7. moneyfan

yes, u are so right. sucks though.:mad:

8. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

hobo he is asking you to do it ;)

9. moneyfan

what do u mean?:confused:

10. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Well, OK. But I'm checking my change very carefully. I expect to find a $3 Princess, $2 1/2 Indian and a couple of $1 gold coins.

11. moneyfan

sound like nice coins.

12. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

which museum did you visit recently ;) lol j/k

13. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Your forget - I live only a few miles from the ANA Museum. I can go there any time and see the Bass Collection (complete collection of US gold and many patterns), a Brasher Doubloon, an 1804 Dollar and a 1913 Liberty nickel.

My collection pales so much in comparison that if I were to leave it to the ANA when I die they would probably put it all in the lobby treasure chest for kids to pick through.

And another thing - keeping a gold coin collection is more trouble than you think. If you don't keep the coins cool the chocolate inside can melt.

:mouth:​

14. Danr

Danr Numismatist

If you find these below melt buy all you can

15. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

:D I think we should start the HSGS Hobo spock grading co. We can own the ANA museum if it takes off. Ill help you out with your gold colelction send it to me. Ill pay you twice the going rate of cocoa for them both of us will be happy and if some of them dont have choclate in them i will live with that too :D

16. moneyfan

i have never heard of these coins. whats the history on them.:confused:

17. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i would seriously recommend that you buy the red book and also coin collecting 101

18. moneyfan

i will find the red book and coin collecting 101, i have a coin book but none of those. oh, is the red book called THE RED BOOK, or is that a nickname like the book used by coin dealers, they call that book the gray book?

19. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

if you do a search for the official red book and coins you will find it

20. moneyfan

thanks, i will find that book.

21. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

You can read about these coins - and every other United States coin - in your Red Book. I find the history of each coin series to be very interesting. Learning about coins is half the fun of coin collecting.

Draft saved Draft deleted