Fifty dollar gold coin, gold futures?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by ozarktravler, May 12, 2008.

1. ozarktravler

ozarktravler Senior Member

Gold market will rebound within weeks, will break 1k record. I predict AUG/SEP ? Gold speculators are bouncing the ball , the US dollar weaker by the day, get ready to cash in on big profits. :secret: OT

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Wait till you see mines ramping up production. There are a couple of major mines that are coming into the system this year.

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Not even an American coin, but a Mexican 50 Pesos, and really not a real coin in the sense that it is a restrike that was produced from ca. 1949-1972. At least it is 1.2057 oz of gold. These latter date Mexican gold pieces were made primarily as bullion, sold to the public at a greater rate than the denomination, because by the early 1950's inflation was eroding the value of the Peso.

5. ozarktravler

ozarktravler Senior Member

nope, not gonna happen

People are living in FEAR. The world is in crisis...human emotion unstable. Gold is good worldwide when common currency declines...Those countries that have gold can't afford to mine it. This in itself keeping price on track and soon driving Gold prices above $1,000 mark. Trust me, hoard your gold, bullets and groceries :high5: OT

6. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

People have been saying that since the invention of coinage! :loud:

(not that its wrong... :D)

7. ctrl

ctrl Member

Venezuela, rich with oil money, just turned down mining permits for two extremely large gold mines.

8. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Gold is NOT like OPEC and there is no limit regulation of how much gold can be mined per year. If a country doesn't want to mine their gold, their choice. There are other major gold mines out there.

People just have no clue when it comes to the cost of operating a mine, much less an idea of how much it takes to open a new mine, maintaining and then paying up to clear up their wastes. It's BILLIONS of dollars, not MILLIONS of dollars.

9. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

It's a very attractive coin... wish I had the cash to buy a couple, right about now. ;)

10. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Where are you getting that info? the dollar has been on a steady climb for over a month now. In fact, it has gained nearly seven cents on the British Pound since just yesterday. When the dollar rises, commodity prices fall....or ballance back out, however you want to look at it.
    Guy~

11. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

face value changes

i hope the mint will change its face value of american eagle and american buffalo to $100.00 (one ounce), $50.00 (1/2 ounce)., $25.00 (1/4 ounce, $10.00 (1/10 ounce).

12. ajbuckle

ajbuckle New Member

Dollar Weaker by the Day

I think that ozarktravler may be referring to the continuing action of the Federal Government and the Federal Reserve in particular to weaken the dollar as to help pay for this disastrously expensive war, to solve the housing crisis, and to increase the price competitiveness of US products on the world market. This increasing inflation is why oil/gas is getting so expensive, and why your grocery bill is going up. That fact that the dollar ratio to the pound or euro is moving up simply reflects that their currencies are being weakened at the same time. There really is no disputing that the purchasing value of the dollar is dropping, and most informed opinion points to it continuing to fall as this inflationary government continues to destroy our currency. The dollar really is getting weaker. Sorry folks.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

14. ctrl

ctrl Member

I have a hard time buying into the notion that the only reason the price of gold goes down is because of manipulation, yet when it goes up it's because of a turn of events where the forces of good are finally able to overcome the forces of evil and the "one true path" of gold is cleared. i.e. there's no such thing as buyers or sellers or investor sentiment or market psychology, it's all simply good-versus-evil manipulation among the dark goverments and the "nature" of gold.

Just my personal opinion.

15. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Interesting read. I think in some circumstances this might happen. But, I think the trend and it's effects, like we've seen in most of our lifetimes before, will be short-lived at best. To make a profit in gold investments, you have to secure a buyer. Right now buyers are a dime a dozen, and people are stocking-up their reserves. But, when it comes time to sell, when say the dollar is rebounding and it's once again profitable to sell commodities in exchange for the dollar, buyers will be scarce and large reserves of gold and silver will sit, unwanted, and the prices will plummet.

Gold is too risky if you ask me. I'd rather invest in something that doesn't depend on fantom inflation and economic slowdowns to turn a profit. Not to mention, a dollar is solid, regardless of it's inflation or deflation. A chunk of bullion won't buy a Big Mac anytime soon.
    Guy~

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Do not purchase gold as an investment. Only buy it as an insurance policy for your assets, and hold onto it for a long long time.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Send money guns and lawyers.

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Agreed Scott; Gold should only be used as a hedge against inflation...nothing else.

19. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

One aspect to consider right now is interest rates. The prices of commodities are also being affected by the dollar vs. foreign currencies on an ongoing basis. If the dollar is strong, it can buy more gold.

When the fed is dropping interest rates like they have been, down to 2.0% currently, they've inflated the dollar worse and made it worth much less in doing so. Not too long ago, we were at 5.3%. Eventually they will raise the interest rate back up. As they do, the dollar becomes stronger and gold and silver will drop. Just one more thing to consider. How much of an impact will it have? I couldn't tell you but I'm anticipating it.

Draft saved Draft deleted