Few Jefferson Proofs to grade!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by shatsi, Jun 19, 2006.

1. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

I would appreciate your thoughts on what the grades would be for the following nickels:

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Grading Proofs is a bit different than grading business strikes. To even attempt to do so based on pics requires large, clear pics. And sometimes even that isn't enough. This is because even a tiny hairline or two can greatly impact the grade on a Proof.

That being said, I would guestimate that all of the coins you have there grade PF65 or better - the last two may be worthy of the cameo designation.

4. rocketman

rocketman New Member

I agree Proof coins are very hard to grade without a large pic, similar to high grade MS coins. however the last two definetly look the best.

5. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

Thank you for your opinion Dough, Yes the last two are CAMEO.

6. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I am pretty sure that they were all cameo during those years (except the '62)

7. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

? The first two have little to no cameo contrast. Granted there were Dcams those years I'm sure, but these two don't qualify.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Cameo and deep cameo examples can be found going back to the beginnings of Proofs. But that in no way means that every Proof coin of any denomination or of any year, up to and including the present, would qualify for the designation. But I will agree that camoes are much more common from 1973 onwards.

9. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

that 62 is nice

Draft saved Draft deleted