Fear of dust!!! How do I REMOVE IT!!!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by merlin1066, Apr 13, 2009.

1. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

Hi all,
    I just picked up this 2004 Mongolian Endangered Wildlife Hologram coin today.
    I've been looking for one of these for a while now and I'm VERY happy with it!
    All the smears are on the airtite so we'er fine there, my problem is DUST on the inside of the airtite!. I purchased a new airtite to put in but how to I safely remove the dust. The field is absolutley SPOTLESS and I don't want to scratch it at all. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

get a can of filter air maybe? but even then there could be soem moisture escaping as the air comes out. One thing i just bought to help take lint, dust and other assorted stuff off coin capsules and coins was a nasal agitator thingy for babies. I cant remember the name of it.. i call it the snot sucker, but my wife disaproves of that lol

that is alot of dust on the inside. the person who sealed it must have worked in a wood shop!

4. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

You could try Blow Off(canned air) or some kind of compressed air.
    --
    Turns out Daggerjon beat me to the punch.:goofer:

5. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

I'd forget about using the snot sucker. It uses local humid dust laden air. You have to go with those canned air thingys that are for computer innards and whatever.

Take you beautiful coin out of that airtite, wearing cotton gloves, and press the trigger on the can of air and then bring it to the coin and blow off the dust. You probably don't have to be too close to the coin as these cans of air pack a good blow. Then turn it over and do the other side. Put the coin down on a safe surface and blow out the airtite. If you have another airtite of that size you might want to inspect that one and blow that one clean and use it.

When YOU are satisfied that all is clean, put your now pristine coin back into suspended animation within the airtite where it will live happily forever. It's really not very difficult to do it well.

Bruce

6. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

Thanks everybody! I'll pick up some canned air tomorrow and get the "woodchips" off.

Thanks Again
    Mark

7. mgChevelle

mgChevelle AMERICAN

I would just use my air gun that connects to my air compressor.

8. grizz

grizz numismatist

Fear.............................................. ...........

.......i believe canned air has moisture in it. i think i would opt for a small rubber bulb, used for flushing baby ears, that can be bought at target or k-mart etc. jmho

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I have a can of air but I prefer using a rubber bulb while viewing the coin under the microscope. Photographic darkroom supply companies should still carry a bulb designed to blow dust from film. They are designed to blow (not suck).

Very best regards,
    collect89

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Many of the plastic holders can develop static charge when being handled by cloth which might actually increase adherence of dust. That is why the old time photography brushes often had a radioactive source in the handle.

Jim

11. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

i would advise against using canned air. When i brought up the dust issue subject not too long ago, someone mentioned how most canned 'air' are nothing more then a compressed checmical. take a look at the side of the can - its says it right on it. There are cans of 'air' that can be bought, but one poster in that thread mentioned they dont tell you if the air is filtered or not... meaning if the air is not filtered... what contaminates are you blowing on the coin.

just foor for thought. I trust the air in my house more then the un-filtered air in some factory 'someplace' else.

I would go with a nasal aspirator.. and they only cost $2-$3 and never run out of air.

12. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

See that is the problem here. To many details ommited. For example what pressure should he use? Which type of air gun, small bore or medium? Should he hold the objects or place in a vice? :rolleyes:

13. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

For a serious note as already noted not a good idea to use canned air on coins. It is just what it says, canned AIR. It could contain almost anything and some might not be nice on coins. There are purified types that photographers or camera repair people use. The same is used by jewlers. I suggest you check with either a camera store or jewlery place for any canned air type products.

14. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

Ok here is what I did. now I know this is gonna sound a little far fetched but it actually worked! Static Electricity which desertgem mentioned gave me an idea! I took the airtite and rubbed it on one of my wifes wool sweaters. Guess what! It pulled most of the dust from the coin onto the airtite! I carefully removed the top of the airtite (along with the dust) and put the now SHINEY coin into the new airtite!

15. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

You blew it, so to speak. You should have had that idea patented before you sharred it with us.
    :thumb:

16. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

LOL!!!!!! I didn't think it would work but figured it cant hurt! I was shocked. When you see BILL MAYS selling a strip if wool for coin collectors remember you heard it here first :D

17. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

If I get a chance tonite I'll post a photo

18. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

And when you see a web site selling it for coins from a "Just Carl" remember no patent.

19. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

LOL!!!!! I Will need a good pitch man !!!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted