fake dime/penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by rlporter507, Feb 3, 2009.

1. rlporter507

rlporter507 New Member

I have found a 1963 dime on the head side, and a lincoln penny tails on the tail side. Now I don't think this is a magicians coin, because I can see a seam on the edge, and in one spot it is actually coming apart. I sounds really weird when you drop it, but is silver on the front, and copper on the back. The size is dime size, but the weight feels wrong as well. So the question is, what did I find? I would think the value would be at least 11 cents! ha!
    thanks for any info.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. sketcherpbr

sketcherpbr Enthusiast

I dunno, if it's half and half it should be worth 5.5 cents ;)

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

ou found an OLD magicians coin were they just ground down the coins and glued them together instead of using a lathe to hollow out the cent and then fit the dime inside

5. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

This topic comes up WAY to much.
    http://www.cointalk.com/forum/t1561/

BTW it is impossible for it to be real.
    You can not have two metals on 1 planchet. ;)
    And welcome to CoinTalk rlporter!

6. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

WELCOME to the forum :hail: rlporter507

7. rlporter507

rlporter507 New Member

thanks

well thanks for the info, I liked the 5.5 cents value. To bad it's not a retirement find.:headbang:

8. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

Welcome to CoinTalk. You'll learn a lot here.

Bruce

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

That's not exactly true. Check out this 2000 Library of Congress bimetallic gold and platinum $10 commem.

Attached Files:

10. 2CentRick

2CentRick Senior Moment

Welcome to Coin Talk!

Though not struck as legal tender, but termed experimental pieces, the boys at the mint in 1865 Judd 407, 1869 Judd 675 and 1870 Judd 793 had some fun striking a few two cent pieces "on planchets formed of silver and copper previously compressed with rollers so as to show silver on one side and copper on the other".

They must have been real beauties fresh off the press!

Rick

11. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Wow! I have never heard of those. I learn something every day.

Another bimetallic coin - and probably the first for the US - was the 1792 Silver Cent, an experimental piece (perhaps a Pattern piece). It was a normal copper Large Cent with a small plug of silver in the center. The silver was added to bring the intrinsic value of the coin up to one cent. Only a few examples are known.

Attached Files:

12. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

I have seen the bimetallics (the LOC is actually on my wishlist lol) but the way they produce normal coins for circulation it would be a 1:100000000000000000000 chance of them making a mule with a copper side and a nickel side. One side could be a cladding error and a mule. However it is impossible for that to happen to a pre-1964 dime as they are not clad but .900 percent silver.

13. jazzcoins

jazzcoins New Member

i think you have a magic coin a nd welcome to

Jazzcoins Joe

Attached Files:

14. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

What you have is the insert of a magician's coin, as they are called.

The part you have fits inside a hollowed out obverse of a cent. When the insert is in one direction, the coin looks like a cent. When the insert is reversed, the coin mysteriously looks like a dime when the viewer only sees the dime part.

Have Fun,
    Bill

15. arosin

arosin Junior Member

post pic

post pic for us

16. rlporter507

rlporter507 New Member

my crappy camera won't get any detail that close. the dime part has the ridges on the edge, and the penny part is smooth on the edge so you can see the seam real good. in one spot it is coming apart also. the tail penny side is not square to the dime heads side.

17. foundinrolls

This is what you have. It is an insert from one of these.

The pictures toward the bottom show the insert of one type of magicians coin.

The upper pictures show a complete, yet different coin with the dime side showing out. They are used in tricks to make a coin seem to magically change.

Thanks,
    Bill

[​IMG]

18. rlporter507

rlporter507 New Member

yep, pretty close to what I have.
    thanks

19. foundinrolls

Hi,
    I suspected that it might be similar.

Thanks,
    Bill

20. Bigt

Bigt New Member

I have simular

21. Kermit dillon

Kermit dillon New Member

I have in my possession a penny with a dime front and copper about 1/4 inch and the back of the coin is the back side of a dime. Any on interested contact me at No Personal id or email should be used due to bots harvesting such. Also if you are trying to sell it, it must be in the advertising forums.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted