Fake ANACS slab on Ebay 1889-CC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Charlie32, May 3, 2006.

1. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

Here is a fake ANACS slab on Ebay. FAKEThe white insert and the gold hologram are from a first generation ANACS slab. The clear part of the holder does not have the ANACS logo on it. The label is not one ANACS has ever used. Since the coin looks at least MS-60, I would guess that it has an added mintmark, or a problem that prevents slabing.

Charlie

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. keh

keh Member

Wow, I would never have noticed that. The seller appears to be honest. Good feedback. Lots of previous big ticket sales.

The label looks a lot different than this one (from another post) :

[​IMG]

4. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

High dollar coin and no Paypal? Another ominous sign.

Someone is in for a shock once they go to sell it or resubmit.

5. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I wrote 3 places....ANACS/Ebay/and the seller and have gotten this info from ANACS.
    It may or may not be a fake....I've writen the seller asking if he would post a larger photo of the back of the slab as if this is a first type ANACS slab it could be worth a lot!!!

Speedy

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Hmmmmm - hey Conder you out there ? This one isn't in your book ??

7. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

wow, a discovery slab, kinda like a discovery coin only ... different.

mac266 likes this.
  8. keh

keh Member

Regarding not accepting PayPal, some dealers don't accept it because the fees add up fast, especially with the big ticket items. However, scammers don't like it either, so who knows...

9. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

I stopped accepting paypal years ago and have never been happier. The concept that only scammers don't accept paypal was created by ebay and is still nurtured and supported by them. It's all about the money. The bitter truth is that paypal itself is a spectacular tool for thieves. Thank goodness that most users practice common sense and avoid scams.
    Nick

mac266 likes this.
  10. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Oh and this appears to be a genuine 1st gen ANACS holder from when they were owned by the ANA. I've had coins with these inserts before. Of course I'd have to see it firsthand to be certain...in fact if it were mine I'd get ANACS ceo James Taylor to write a letter stating that it's genuine. Or more likely I'd just have it reslabbed :)
    Nick

11. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I'm with you on this one. After another thread on this Forum displayed the attitude of some buyers that PAYPAL takes the place of personal responsibility and offers them protection from their own bad judgement, I would never tak PAYPAL.

That slab, if genuine, should be maintained. Unless the coin is super rare, it should be left intact as an example of an early ANA slab. It can help educate the hobby, as it has done here on thsi thread.

12. The_Cave_Troll

You did catch that in that other thread I wasn't defending Paypal prcticies, I was just pointing them out, right? As a seller I HATE Paypal, but the majority of the stuff I sell is so generic that if I didn't accept it my buyers would go somewhere else.

13. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

To be honest, I had stopped reading the other thread. It wasn't anything against you by any means. It just got to the point where I was starting to think I was on a different planet than some of the people who have unreasonable expectations, so I bailed out to protect my blood pressure.

14. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

As a buyer on Ebay, I've found that I can frequently obtain slightly better prices by bidding on coins from dealers who don't accept paypal. The auctions seem to attract fewer bids, probably because of the effort required to get a money order.

15. giladzuc

giladzuc Senior Member

Thanks for your alert. I had heard about fakes on

E-Bay auctions, and you unveiled another way of counterfeiting/

16. The_Cave_Troll

Actually, according to ANACS this is a legitimate first generation slab.

17. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I used to be afraid to buy expensive coins that were not slabbed but now I'm scared to even buy slabbed ones.

18. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I gotta agree with the above. And yes, I noticed this is a very old thread from 2006.

19. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

To this day, I've never seen this particular slab label.... The early ana official grade labels had a serial #, this does not. I wonder what ever happened with this coin .Was it deemed fake? Or has it come to light that this was like some rare, authentic, prototype slab? A transitional slab (so to speak) between the old certs and the small white holders.... I would very much like to know!!

20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Hmm I've never seen one like that before. I have a first gen ana anacs slab and it looks nothing like that.

Maybe @Conder101 knows as he never saw this thread apparently

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No I never saw this tread back in 2006. That is no slab I've ever seen. Since the tread dates from before the first fake ANACS slab was discovered, and it is from a design that greatly pre-dates the slabs that were in use at the time, I suspect it is either a prototype slab, or one they used for display purposes during the time period when they were preparing to switch from the photocertificates to the slabs. It probably is a genuine ANACS product, but possibly not intended to get into public hands. It can happen. I have a prototype SEGS slab that I purchased from a dealer as a regular slab.

Draft saved Draft deleted