extremly misleading auction

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jako lipo, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Jako lipo

Jako lipo New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

It probably took a few days just to set that auction up.

Anyone that lists that many cheesy pictures and "graphics" is a waste of time.

4. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

very true, but what a large amount of coins!!! repeats or not.. still alot of coins!!! hope noone gets ripped off to badly!

5. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I dont see a good deal there at all. Alot of bad pictures, alot of the same coins and certainly not worth anything near the starting bid price from what I can see. I noticed alot of his coins are from Littleton, which I'm sure he grossly overpaid for in the first place, maybe that played a major factor in setting his reserve price, whatever that may be, its much too high. 16 bidders took the bait already and are instant candidates for the "Dumb Numismatist Award".

6. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

"Total in cash: over $6,000
    Total in folders: 591 over $2,100"

Maybe he flunked out of math class or just thinks we won't take the time to add two numbers together, but that total doesn't seem to come remotely close to the $16,999.00 buy it now price. Somebody demanding that much cash had better spend more than five minutes throwing together crummy pictures of a few boxes of coin book ends and indistingushable coins to garner my bid. For $17,000 I'd expect him to come to my house and present them in person. Some people...
    Guy~

7. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

Most are common modern coins... Owner probably spent lots of money at Littleton, his reserve is probably at least $10k, nobody is going to buy this lot.

8. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

I think you folks are a little hard on seller. This is exactly what happens to a collector who buys his coins from Littleton, Abon, ebay scammers, dirty show dealers THEN goes to sell, only to find out they have been ripped over and over, the whole time.

Wait till all those folks with the ABON registerys go to sell, or those folks who buy the photoshopped coins on ebay. Or worse, plan on usiong them for their retirement.

I did not look long, but it appears that way to me.

9. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Could be Jack and I've seen it happen way too many times at the local dealer.

People come in with this stuff that they have grossly overpaid for and his first line is "I'm going to insult you" then he gives his offer. I'm serious here too.

Scary thing is most end up selling because they need the money which they may have had if they had not bought the coins.

Kinda like getting ripped off twice but the second time it's "honestly".

10. Aberlight

Aberlight New Member

What till Leadfoot sees this thread.

11. gatzdon

gatzdon Numismatist

Definitely looks like it's all Littleton stuff.

12. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

If the multi-colored font heuristic is true, then the warning bells should be going off. The only way this auction would be a good deal is to get it for close to the face value of the coins.

I didn't try to count them, though.

I think this is a crazy way to sell a big collection.

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Considering the face value is $6k (supposedly), it ain't such a bad deal right now ($4k bid).

I see no intentional misrepresentation, I see no deceptive pictures, I see no indications of a scam. Nice font though. :D

The lack of recent activity is a warning sign, as are the private bidders, but neither are too worrisome.

I see a lot of common coins going for less than face value. To me that spells opportunity...and provided one could inspect the coins before tending payment (the seller says pickup only), I see nothing wrong with this auction at this level....Mike

p.s. Is that what you expected, Aberlight? ;)

14. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

I don't have 4k or 6k or 16k, but I wouldn't mind sitting down and seeing this stuff in person.

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

It is worth at least 2 X face.

16. Aberlight

Aberlight New Member

The font is used in more colors than a box of fruit loops and the pictures are bad along with no Paypal. Thought this were all signs of deception...........

17. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I wouldn't call it deception....maybe just over-inflation. I've got a cent I'll sell for $25...anyone wanna take a gamble? Same thing the way I see it. You might win, but probably not.
    Guy~

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

They are all signs, but I do not believe they are indicitative of deception in this case. Just like I said in the other thread, just because you have a sign or three doesn't mean the seller is trying to deceive -- you have to take them in their entirety and judge each individual case on its own.

In addition, none of the coins for sale are truly valuable, nor are they being advertised or currently bid as such.

Lastly, the ability to view the coins in-person mitigates much of the risk associated with an auction, as it essentially turns a sight-unseen transaction into a sight-seen one.

One must always be wary when bidding on online auctions, but I don't see this auction as intentionally deceptive given the above. You are free to disagree. :)

Have a nice day...Mike

19. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

To me, the current bid price of $4,050 means nothing because none of the bidders are going to actually win this auction for that amount. There is a reserve set in this auction which means to me that this guy has added up what he spent at Littleton and is expecting close to that same amount back, which I expect is going to be way above face value and way above $6 k. The BIN price should give you some indication of that. If this is the case, if anyone meets the reserve and wins this auction they paid too much.

20. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

I did not look at each and every pic. ( most pics aren't clear enough anyway) But it seams to me there is just a handfull of silver, the rest is all clad. He probably has more money in the albums than in the coins!

On a side note, If a lot of those state quarters and westward journey nickels were in rolls instead of the albums they would most likely be worth more. Less thumb prints anyway.

Side note II, did anyone notice the stack of Littleton showcase magazines!!

21. eddyhops

eddyhops New Member

Interesting note... feedback 100% positive, total feedback 448, feedback score 200... all as BUYER

This is the first item this user has ever sold on ebay

Draft saved Draft deleted