Engraver's Presentation by Scottishmoney

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by scottishmoney, Nov 1, 2009.

1. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

One of the more prolific and talented engravers of the late 19th and early 20 centuries was G. F. C. Smillie. Indeed, his work encompassed creations for the Homer Lee Bank Note Company, then later American Bank Note Company and most prominently with the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. His works ranged from vignettes for foreign notes, to work on the Silver Certificates from the 1896 series, to portraits of presidents on the FRN's and some would be used well after his lifetime on United States Military Payment Certificates.

[​IMG]

This work is titled Liberty and was created early in the 20th century, like many of his works - it would be used again much later on.

[​IMG]

A very popular engraved vignette that was used on numerous works of currency, and also several bonds is Ceres seen here on the Series 521 $10:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smillie is a popular engraver with collectors like myself, because he produced many feminine vignettes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a series 541 $1.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Union was featured on the Series 1902 National $20s:

[​IMG]

And lastly on the Series 661 $10:

[​IMG]

Which would represent the last printing of currency by the BEP that had a depiction of bare feminine anatomical features.

[​IMG]

And of course Ceres had her swan song also. An adapted version of Ceres was also used on the Standard Bank of Canada $5 denomination from 1914-1926, a very very rare series.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The near end of the usage of Smillies works was the Series 691 MPC series that was printed and held for usage in Korea but was never used and mostly destroyed in 1999.

[​IMG]

4. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

SM...

What a great presentation of vignettes by Smilie.
    What a talented artist he was and he did have many vignettes to his credit.
    If I am not mistaken, there were (7) Seven Smilies and they all were engravers including his son. Is anyone else noticing the color planchetts used on some of the MPC vignettes SM has posted? These are used on many World Bank Notes as anti counterfeiting devices...never thought they were used on US Issues.

Fantastic display as always!! Thank you for a a wonderful presentation!!

10 :thumb: :thumb: :bow:

RickieB

5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Smillies works encompassed many denominations of currency, here his work of Grover Cleveland is prominent on the $1000 denomination, first used beginning in 1928 for the small sized FRNs, and used through the Series 1934 and Series 1934 A notes:

[​IMG]

6. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

great presentation SM. those are some beautiful vignettes. the info you posted is very interesting. :thumb:

7. Art

Art Numismatist?

Super job on this presentation. The notes and engravings are beautiful.

8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Have to agree guy's they are wonderful but for me the highlight so to speak has to be the image of Ceres that is stunning :bow: Thanks SM :thumb:

9. connor1

connor1 Collector

SM,
    Your presentation of Smilie is fabulous in the vignettes & story of his life,the use of multiple vignettes adds such a complete description of Smilie's talent as a master engraver.
    Well Done...congrats !

10. An excellent post, as usual!

11. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

Exellent presentation!!! Some very nice notes too!

12. wiggam007

wiggam007 Cut-Rate Parasite

Nice presentation with lots of examples. Maybe we can get another presentation for Smilie's other works.

13. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Great Post Scottishmoney! I also like the work by Mr. Smillie and one of my favorites is the Black Eagle. It was based on an engraving by Charles Bannister - Eagle of the Capitol.
    The 1st image is the BE and the second is the EotC. :D

Attached Files:

14. connor1

connor1 Collector

Great Post Scottishmoney

Mr. Smilie is a favorite of mine also, you did him justice with all those vignettes & your great Presentation,I like the Black Eagle Vignette also.
    Job well done !
    [​IMG]

15. LSM

LSM Collector

Great presentation SM. Well done and some very nice vignettes.

Lou

16. dready

dready Coin Hoarder

Excellent presentation SM. Smillie was indeed a very talented engraver................John

17. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

18. north49guy

north49guy Show me the Money

Great presentation. I learned a lot! A lot of great vignettes there too!

19. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Wonderful

Great and I have a few of those too!!

20. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Great job! Thanks.....

21. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Shamelessly adding on more that are some of my personal favourites from certain countries:

Denmark

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted