English French Mint hammered coins.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Aidan Work, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Here's another section that will really interest Sylvester.It is about coins of the English Kings struck in France.I have got a Groat (4d.) issued in 1422-27 at Calais during the 1st. reign of King Henry VI (1422-61).This piece can be distinguished from the London Mint ones by the mintname on the reverse,'VILLA CALISIE',which means,'Town of Calais'.Surprisingly,the Calais Mint coins of King Henry VI's
    1st reign are quite common,but I found it very difficult to get one until a few years ago.I have very few hammered coins issued prior to the Commonwealth period (1649-60).

Aidan.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you thinks that's tough, try finding one issued by the Black Prince in the Aquitaine ;) Better yet - try to afford it :rolleyes:

4. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

The only Anglo-French coin I have ever seen was one issued by either King Richard I or King John.This was an Aquitanian coin.I didn't know that Edward,the Black Prince issued coins,as he was Prince of Wales until his death in 1376.The Black Prince's son became King Richard II in 1377.He was overthrown in 1399 by Henry Bolingbroke,who became King Henry IV (1399-1413).Ex-King Richard II died of starvation in the Tower in 1400.

Aidan.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

He did in the Aquitaine ;)

6. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Aidan,
    Here he is! And Richard too,posted earlier in another thread.
    Sylvester and Ian,just noticed the fleur-de-lys pattern..hehe..I win!

Attached Files:

7. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Also posted previously but in case you missed it..Calais mint :)
    edit...I just saw that you started the earlier thread..oops!

Attached Files:

8. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

lol! ...and you didn't cheat (much) either.... :p

OK. `uncle'

Ian

9. sylvester

sylvester New Member

The Henry VI groats you picture are actually 'English', yes they were minted in Calais (and yes i have one), but Calais was part of England, not France. Sounds odd perhaps but you have to realise that other parts of what is now France were not French then either, take Brittany it was an independent country until the reign of Henry VII.

Henry VI though did have some French coins issued in France (because he was theoretically the king of France). The strangest thing of all is the only king of England that has ever been the king of France (or the closest there's ever been) was Henry VI. Not Henry V, Edward III or any other more useful king.

Of course the Norman-Angevin Empire ruled more of 'France' than the French king did, Normandy, Aquitane, Anjou... and then John lost it all and nearly lost England to the French as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted