Elizabeth 1rst coin 1584-86 ???

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Snake Eyes, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Member

On the coin details Obverse: ELIZAB D.G. ANG.FR.ET.HIB.REGI.(~over the A like a pi symbol) which is the mint mark

the reverse is : ~POSVIDEV ADIVTOREIM MEV ( ; SYMBOL ALL SPELLED WITH "V" 's not "U" 's

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Looks like it is authentic, which is good news, do you have an image of the obverse of the coin with ol' Queen Lilibet?

4. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Member

Elizabeth obverse side

This side is well worn but the rim and crown are pretty clear

Attached Files:

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That - would bother me. Either somebody was marking a fake or the coin was tested numerous times to see if it was a fake.

Can't say that I see anything to make me think it is though - except all those scratches. Have you weighed this coin ? Something sure made people suspect it.

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The scratches are deep, I wonder that someone was marking the coin for some other reason than to test it?

The coin looks legit to me, I have seen quite a number of them too. Weighing it is not going to be a great delimiter on it's authenticity as even the authentic Tower Minted coins have some variance, face it, hammered coins are PITA in that regard. Weights are noted in auctions so that you know the coin is less likely to have been clipped etc.

For instance I have a Edward III Noble, that is the heaviest I have ever seen listed. It is definitely a hoard piece, because usually the coins were shaved, clipped etc. by the unscrupulous.

7. GDJMSP

No argument. But if it is way too light that would be a pretty good indication.

8. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Member

9. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Have to say that it looks ok to me here is one of mine that I know is real notice anything about the head LOL

[​IMG]

10. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Yes, i have to say that one looks OK to me too.
    Interestingly, i have a few of these Elizabeth I's and Edward VI coins, and some are scratched, just like this one, always around the bust area. Was this a common fad in 16th century England?

11. GDJMSP

It was a common way of testing the coin when the person receiving it suspected it of being fake for some reason - often being too light in weight. They would scratch the metal to see if it was just plated or a genuine coin.

It was also a method used to mark a fake so that others would know it was a fake.

12. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

Can we join the party? Picked this up recently for Thalia Elizabeth (1/2 groat):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scratches on this one too... I bought it from a very reputable and knowledgable dealer in town.

13. Pickledstew

Pickledstew New Member

lol thats funny were there really that many scammers back then...

14. GDJMSP

Absolutely ! Counterfeit coins have been around as long coins have.

Draft saved Draft deleted