ebay silver and gold?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by playin4funami, Dec 13, 2009.

1. playin4funami

playin4funami Junior Member

How many on here buy silver or gold off ebay? Ever been burned? I don't buy off ebay it's too tempting,but was messing around looking there and instead of typing in silver rounds I accidently typed in silver rings and low and behold there were a few silver rounds for sale there too,but these were selling at a much lower price than properly listed ones,watched a 3 troy oz. lot of three rounds sell for less than 10 bucks just a bit ago. that might get me motivated to set up an account. whats your experiences?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

Sound like somebody lucked out. Do you have a link for that?

4. JDS

JDS Junior Member

I have purchased a few Silver Eagles and Maple Leafs on Ebay and did okay on those, but I was very careful not to bid more than $2 or $3 over spot including the shipping price.

I don't see any good deals on Ebay now. I've been tracking it fairly regularly and right now the average sales price for Silver Eagles is about $24, which includes shipping. With the spot price currently at $17.00, this is much more than I would be willing to pay.

5. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Ebay is okay for purchasing common bullion coins and bars where condition isn't a factor. It is also okay for purchasing slabbed items. But sellers have gotten very good at photography that hides problems, and at using language that might mislead bidders who quickly scan the descriptions. Don't conclude that the bargain purchase you witnessed is common.

6. ahearn

ahearn Member

I've bought silver bars on eBay but only from very reputable companies who have many products, not individuals who are selling only selling a couple of bars. I have been very satisfied and will continue to buy on eBay in this way.

7. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

I have bought silver art bars on ebay and I had no problems in the past. However, I do not buy many silver art bars on ebay because I get outbid on those auctions on a regular basis because I am not willing to pay more than $4 over spot and that includes shipping costs.

8. playin4funami

playin4funami Junior Member

sorry I didn't grab a link but when I found it there was only 50 seconds till the sale was over,so I watched it end,was kinda like "what the heck" three one oz. art rounds for less than 10 bucks. I guess I was not in the right place where everyone who buys or sells silver would normally go to look,that was what I was thinking,find stuff miscatigorized and off the beaten trail so to speak and find good deals,maybe. I sure didn't see any bargains when using the regular keywords in the search function,but mix it up a bit and see what happens,yes you have to wade through some other junk but heck it's probably worth it. Like I said,I don't use ebay or anything like that and was thinking of setting up an account,so when and if I found any deals then I coulld bid, Hows the whole paypal deal work?

9. packman850

packman850 Junior Member

You should only be looking in the bullion category. Just search silver bullion and then on the left side of your screen select bullion and that should weed out a lot of the junk. Then just look through the results, every now and then you can find some great deals. I like to set it up where the items ending first are shown first and I find the good deals and bid on them. It's best to only buy silver on there when the price of silver is down because then the price seems to drop a lot on there in my experience. When the price is up I like to sell maybe a coin or two on there and I can make 4 to 5 dollars of profit because people see the price up and try and grab some silver before it goes higher. Paypal is pretty easy to use when buying all you need is a bank account. You make an account on paypal and you link your bank account to it. It's like a proxy between you and the seller on ebay. It's supposedly more secure.

10. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I don't know what you were looking at, but some of these are sterling and 0.6 troy ounces. You have to be careful.

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I've had good experiences buying gold off of ebay. That said, I don't make a habit of it. The couple items that I've returned have been b/c they weren't as described. :thumb:

12. WebNomad

WebNomad Junior Member

I've recently begun thinking about buying previous metal off ebay mainly because you can get good discounts through Bing cashback and other cashback when the time is right. But my biggest concern is how do you ensure the authenticity of those items, especially those high-value items. I understand it is usually safer if the seller is long established with good rating and everything, but with high-value items, such as 1 ounce gold coin/bars, you definitely want a 100% confidence. Shall I go to some local dealer for an appraisal or something like that?

I'd appreciate people's advice on that.

Draft saved Draft deleted