E-bay crazy

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Wheaties fan, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Wheaties fan

Wheaties fan Junior Member

ya im guilty of being an e-bay junkie..ive gotten alot of great coins there.in the mail today 1909 in vf.last week got my first roll ever wheats.found a 1911 fine and about 15 coins from the 20s and 30s.i think i had a great roll the rest of the roll was 40s and 50s but very nice ones.picked up a very nice 1913s for 9.50 in fine condition.got two rolls coming this week.hoping for a 1909 vbd im not even asking for a vbd s lolol :hail:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Glad you are having success. Most of what I look at is not worth the price.

4. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

I Have

off to the shed to attempt to capture a 1909 vdb, up for grabs...

5. DoK U Mint

I'm BacK!

This 1909 VDB really came from Granny's flood infested basement. iT HAS BEEN soaked, never scrubbed, thumbed, never neglected.....etc....

She would have been about 16 y.o. at the time she stashed some special coins below the water line.

Attached Files:

6. Wheaties fan

nice vdb there ya got....if ya want to get rid of it thru a trade maybe lol

7. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

Welcome to the forum WF.

You should know that it has been well documented here that buying 'supposedly' unsearched rolls off ebay is a losing proposition. Some sellers spike the ends with nicer coins. But you can be guaranteed, the sellers aren't going to waste their time with fees, listing and shipping for you to come out a winner.

I've seen some sellers selling thousands of dollars worth of 'unsearched wheat cents' in a single month. They do it because it's so profitable for them. Even if they spike one in 50 with a key date coin, for someone to advertise for them. They're making out like bandits.

You're much better off buying the individual coin you want.

8. Jerms

Jerms Member

Indeed. Plus, the 1909 VDB is relatively inexpensive. Time you buy all those rolls to find one, you can get yourself a mint state for around $40-$50.

9. majorbigtime

majorbigtime New Member

Good advice. Buying the rolls may be fun, and if you do it just for the fun of it keep it up. Common stuff like this is much easier to buy than sell, and all you really are doing is fulling a junk box of coins.

10. Wheaties fan

got two rolls of wheats from e-bay today.one roll was wrapped in string + son wrapper.the other in newer wrapper.so out of a hundred coins i found 1911 1912 1917d 1917 1918 3x 1919 2x 1919s 1920 1925 1927 1929d 1930d 2x1934 1935 1936 2x1937 2x1938 1939 1939s...so i dont think i did so bad.guess which one i got the best ones out of lolol ty

11. DoK U Mint

I'm guessing (by the way, nice finds!) the ones I got last month, looked through to make sure they were unsearched and relisted in the new wrapper?:whistle:

Actually, I was thinking of selling old bank wrappers instead of old coin on FeeBay someday.:hatch:

12. lincolnhoardr

lincolnhoardr Coin Hoarder

I used to purchase rolls of wheaties off ebay - my best find was a 1909-S in VF condition :)
    I stopped buying after finding roll after roll of nothing but 40's-50's
    I have gotten rolls with 5-10 60's-and 70's per roll :desk:
    I once even found a 2004 cent once in an unsearched roll!
    Im glad there are still good roll sellers out there! Happy hunting :D

13. RUFUSREDDOG

RUFUSREDDOG Senior Member

Retro~

You Dog, you. 1909-S? but without the VDB?:crying:

Next month I'm headed up to the old home spread to collect my stash of Whitman's, all with the gaping hole in the corner where the coveted
    "S" should be.

Now I think it's too late to ever consider putting one there.

14. Kent

Kent Junior Member

I bought 4 rolls on Ebay all unsearched right nothing but commons, rusty steel, and even some 60's and 70's in each roll. I bought them on a best offer bid for $2.95 each plus shipping and only got them to start some folders for the kids, but I couldn't help thinking haw many people have been dooped (including me) into buying these when they can go to the bank buy some boxes or bags find 6 - 12 wheats and only pay a penny each? Sure there is some salt but your chances are slim at the best of finding a key.

Draft saved Draft deleted