Draped Bust Half Dime FOUND!!!!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by guthormsen, Feb 27, 2010.

1. guthormsen

guthormsen dirt digger

I went coin and relic hunting today at an early pioneer town in Middle TN along the Cumberland River. I found an 1833 Capped Bust Half Dime there a few months ago, and wanted to see if I had missed anything. I'm glad I went!!! Today I found a 1797 Draped Bust Half DIME with 15 stars:D It is the oldest, rarest (only 44,527 minted), and most valuable coin that I have ever found. One of the guys that went with me found a 1782 Spanish 1 Reale. Here is a pic.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

WOW! Super cool! Where exactly did you find it?
    EDIT: Okay, I think I understand a little better now. You dug the coin up?

4. hillbillyricky

hillbillyricky New Member

what type of metal detector do you use?? and how deep was the coin buried? I was thinking of getting into that hobby

5. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Nice Coin!! :)

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Not attractive but still a amazing find anyone would love to get.

8. guthormsen

guthormsen dirt digger

I use a White's Eagle Spectrum detector. It's an older detector, but still a good one. The coin was only about 3 inches down.

9. guthormsen

guthormsen dirt digger

Yeah, I dug it out of the ground. Of course I wish it were in a little better shape, but I think it looks GREAT for being buried for about 200 years!!! In the past 3 yrs I have found several different types of coins; Large Cents, Draped Bust Half Dime, Capped Bust Half Dime, Seated Half Dime, 3-Cent Nickel, Liberty V Nickel, Barber Dime, Seated Quarter, Standing Liberty Quarter, Seated Half, Walking Liberty Half, Peace Dollar, and lots of Indian Head Pennies, wheaties, and modern silver coins.

10. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Pretty cool! I wish I could go digging but I doubt it would do any good...all we got in San Antonio is ROCK!

11. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Outrageous ! HUGE congrats ! How exciting. :thumb:

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Great Find!

Congrats!

13. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

WOW, that is a beaut, especially for being in the ground that long.

14. Edinmem

Edinmem hobbyist

also in Tenn,just outside memphis...I have a White's Quantum 2 and love it. My problem is finding places to hunt because most good spots are privately owner and posted ..any tips on how to get on these properties without going to jail.

15. guthormsen

guthormsen dirt digger

All I can say is to knock on some doors and ask. The worst that could happen is that they say no. Also you might want to try hunting construction sites in Memphis. I find lots of good stuff at house sites that have been recently demolished. When they clear all the debris, they also take a couple inches of top soil. This gets rid of a lot of the modern trash that was there.

16. guthormsen

guthormsen dirt digger

It may not be the prettiest thing out there, but to me it's BEAUTIFUL !!!!

17. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Looks mighty sweet to me for the price you paid!

18. skippy

skippy Senior Member

Awesome find!
    Makes me wish I could get out with my White's metal detector more often.

19. ozarktravler

ozarktravler Senior Member

Man ole man ,,,,, I want to get a metal detector, you guys are always digging up neat treasure. nice find ,thanks for sharing.:thumb:

20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

That is an incredible find!

In 20 years of detecting, I have only ever made a handful finds that can compare to a 1797 Half Dime. Sure it is not in great condition, but it is still all there. Just DO NOT Clean it further.

Congratulations! I know what the feeling is like................

21. Shawn151

Shawn151 Junior Member

I'd have to say that you have the best find I've seen since I started to post here.
    BIG CONGRATS MAN!!

I too have pondered the thought of getting into the digging aspects. Now is not the time for me to try though...I live in MA and the ground is still frozen solid in places. lol
    I live in a small city named Leominster (first settled in 1653 and officially incorporated into a town in 1740)...I'm a big history lover and there is a cemetery around the corner of my house that has been used since the early 1800's. I'm now starting to drool thinking of going out there and searching! Hmmm, good way to kill a nice warm summer day. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted