Double-Headed Quarter - What's It Worth?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by rcsmith81, Jun 9, 2005.

1. rcsmith81

rcsmith81 New Member

I have one of the new state quarters. I have no idea which one nor do I know where or when it was minted (struck) as it has two heads (obverse and reverse). Can anyone tell me if it has any value?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. whoopig

whoopig New Member

It is probably made outside of the mint. Only one double sided coin has ever been verified to have been mint made. You can machine two coins so that one coin fits inside the other. If you look at the inside of the rim edge you will see a hairline where the two coins come together.

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Welcome to the forum rc.
    Since the date is on the obverse (heads side) of state quarters, the absence of a date on either side of yours indicates a novelty piece made from scratch. You can read more about the most common method of producing magic coins from real ones by clicking >> here <<.

Another common method is simply grinding two coins down to 1/2 normal thickness, then gluing them together. :(

5. Cu101

Cu101 Member

On the state quarters, the date is on the reverse side, tails not the heads side.

6. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Well, what do us Darksiders know? :p [​IMG]

That still doesn't authenticate the piece.

7. will3053

will3053 New Member

I have the same one and it weights 5.7g same as any ordinary state quarter. i got it yesterday from a roll i got from the bank.

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

You can probably use it to get a Coke at a reduced price out of a vending machine.

Draft saved Draft deleted