Double Die?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Just Carl, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

So this is a 1926D Mercury Dime that appears to have the date and a few other letters doubled. Could be a double die?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some of the letters in Liberty also appear a little on the fuzzy side like this L
    So any one thinks this is a doulbe die? Or should I stop drinking so much?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Carl, it's not the bourbon. I'm seein' what you're seein'. Just don't know what it is.....:)

4. mr boss

mr boss Junior Member

I would say yes

5. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Well, I’m no expert, but have looked at a lot of 69-s MD. Without seeing the actual coin, I’d say MD. The pics look like flat shelving and I don’t like the way the base of the 2 & 6 appear flattened. I’d like to look at the coin from different angles to determine if the second image is indeed flat or rounded like the top numbers/letters, as it should be if it’s a double die.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Did the image disappear ? For some reason, I don't see it. Are all of you drinking ? :)

Jim

7. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

It was that additional 1 that first made me look. It is very pronounced at even a slight clance. Under magnification the most noticable thing is the doubling look to the 9. True that most of the letters, especially the L, appear to be more on the MD appearance.
    Regardless it will just go into a 2x2 with a tag stating POSSIBLE Double, then into one of 4 boxes of errors.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Not a doubleD die,

I believe strike doubling.

9. grizz

grizz numismatist

Draft saved Draft deleted