Dominica Franklin Delano Roosevelt coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by temler, Jan 9, 2005.

1. temler

temler New Member

I have a .999 oz silver 100th anniversary of birth of Franklin Delano Roosevelt coin. The envelope says, "Official First Day of Issue." There is a .60 stamp on the envelope with a "postmark" that says GPO ROSEAL; in the middle 1 MY 1982; and at the bottom of the circle DOMINICA There is a large picture of the coin on the front. The coin has the words "one hundred anniversary" 1882-1982. It has eagles standing foot to foot. One the front is the face of Roosevelt with his name across the top of the coin and 1982 at at the bottom

I would really appreciate any help with this coin. I can't seem to find anything about it on the net.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Welcome to the forum Tim.
    If you're hoping that you have found a treasure, I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you.

Dominica, is an island member of the monetary union known as the East Caribbean States, which produces uniform coinage for several members of the British Commonwealth in that part of the world. For a brief period following its independence in 1978, it issued Non-Circulating Legal Tender (NCLT) coins denominated from four to 300 dollars; but it does not use coins bearing its name in daily commerce.

Yours is not listed in the Standard Catalog of World Coins by Krause & Mischler, and from your description it apparently does not have a denomination. That means it is siimply what is known as a "silver round", a piece of silver bullion made specifically for sale to collectors.

Both NCLT coins, and silver rounds, generally sell at retail for a very small premium above their bullion value. That is currently $4.86 per ounce for pure silver.

With the associated first day cover it might be worth a little more to a stamp collector, and perhaps an FDR enthusiast would also value it at more than $5.

4. temler

temler New Member

Roy,
    Thank you for your wonderful information. No, I'm not disappointed at all, although a rare find would be great. My grandson and I were just going through some old coins on a rainy day and we could not find any info on the net about this coin. We both really appreciate you taking the time to give us such a super explanation.

Thanks,
    Tim

5. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

The last pieces issued by Dominica were the Pope of Rome visit pieces,which are in silver & in gold.

6. Nina ross

Nina ross New Member

I have one just the same. I was wondering if it held any value

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Welcome! Well, this topic is more than ten years old, but I suppose that the information in post #2 is still accurate ...

8. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

How do you people fun this stuff!? It always amazes me how new members will find this super old threads instead of making new ones.

9. I just found 2 of these as well. Since this original posting, has anything changed about the value of them? If not, how would I go about finding an avid coin collector? I found an entire box of very old & random coins my father had stashed away.
    M. Alexander

Draft saved Draft deleted