Does Anybody Know What This Is??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cdb1950, Feb 18, 2005.

1. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

I picked this up at a coin store. Don't know anything about it, but the planchet appears to be silver and about the size of a half dollar. Anybody know what this is?? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

A very small saucer? :D

4. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

Im inclined to think its a silver salt dish. Each place setting would have their own to "pinch" salt from for their food. Is there any sign of a hall mark on the back?

5. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

No hallmarks. I'm pretty sure it was die struck, though.

6. IvanV

IvanV New Member

haha exactly what I though!!!!!!

or...a (still very small) frying (spelling?)pan! (the thing to make the fried potatoes! :D...very small ones, hehe :p)

...just kidding...I have no idea what is that...maybe a souvenier from somewhere...

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Once many years ago I saw a set of various Presidents similar to that made in pewter. Each piece was about the size of a silver dollar, arranged on a board and framed. It was made by some private company - no idea who.

That piece doesn't look like pewter. But I'd guess it came from a similar set. Just a knicknack really. Or so it appears.

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I have a very similar item. Mine is octagonal and a little more intricate.

I believe mine was made in conjunction with a collector plate but don't know for sure.

9. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Do you have a photo?? Thanks!

When I first saw this piece, it really caught my eye. The dealer sold it to me for a few dollars, figuring he was selling scrap silver. A pretty neat knicknack. I've always wanted to know what it was.

10. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

My first thought is that the item is a trial strike to test the die. I have seen Civil War token trial strikes that appeared similar (some also with a blank side), but were flat. Your item looks intentionally dished, so I doubt it is a trial strike.

Draft saved Draft deleted