DIY Numismatist: Coin Degree Finder

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coinmelt, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Coinmelt

Coinmelt New Member

I made this little thing a few days ago and have been using it all weekend long. I just love this little thing so I thought I'd make a tutorial about it.

DIY Numismatist: Coin Degree Finder

How to build a coin degree finder out of materials you have around the house.

By Christopher R. Hill
    February 18, 2008

Preface

This by no means makes it faster to search through a roll of coins to find the valuable rotated dies. It does however help you when you think you might have found one and shows you to what degree of the rotation. It's a safe (mylar), sturdy and cheap way to to check the degree of a coin. I wish I could take the credit for the invention of such a method. However, there are a few patents that inspired me. Peter Von Camber's "Coin Degree Finder" filed on November 8, 1971 and issued in April 1973. My design is not his, Camber's design is slightly more complex and is a housing unit to fit numerous coin diameters.

When I first thought of making my own I had several ideas. I first wanted to use one of the plastic holders, then a proof/year holder and then I thought of creating my own housing unit with Air-Tite style ring design that could easily be interchangeable. But that is all a little advanced and over the top for a do-it-yourself project. There is currently a "coin protractor" flip on the market that does exactly what my DIY project does and it cost $20. That seems a little high for something you can do right in your own home with a few items you already have laying around the house.

Fun project to make with the kids or for yourself. Put it in your pocket and always have a handy way to check the degree of a raw coin. Ideal for roll and bargain bin hunting.

Note: This article describes the process of making a nickel coin degree finder. This can easily be changed to fit any coin - within reason.

Supplies

[​IMG]
    • 2" x 2" Mylar Cardboard Holder
    • 2" x 4" Conventional Protractor Template [Download Here]
    • Printer
    • Glue Stick
    • Scissors
    • X-ATCO® Knife
    Construction

Step 1

Print out the conventional protractor template [here]. Then cut out the template by following the light grey guideline.

Step 2

Place the template on top of the 2x2 mylar cardboard holder. Using the X-ACTO® knife trim the sides for a perfect fit. It's important to keep your mylar cardboard holder straight and not folded over. That way the gluing process will be easier.

Note: I had to trim the template on two sides to get it to fit perfectly.

Step 3

Once done with trimming remove the template from the mylar cardboard holder. Place the template on a hard surface and cut a 21.21mm (or the diameter of the coin you are making this for) into the center of both the top and bottom protractor circles.

Note: I accomplished this task by using another mylar cardboard holder. Cutting out the mylar window then placing it on top of the template and using my X-ACTO® knife to simply trace the inner circles.

Step 4

Take your glue stick and apply a medium even layer of glue to the white (or visible) side of the mylar cardboard holder. Then place your template on top and align it correctly. Then using the cap of the glue stick flatten the template out so that there are no air bubbles and the template is securely attached. Flip your new coin degree finder over and use the X-ACTO® knife to trim any edges as needed.

Usage

Place your coin inside the mylar holder and align it perfectly. The nose on Jefferson should be at 85° and the top of his head at 0°. Then simply flip the mylar holder over.

Article: http://www.rollhunting.com/diy-coin-degree-finder.html

Attached Files:

• obv.jpg
      obv.jpg
      File size:
      37.6 KB
      Views:
    • rev.jpg
      rev.jpg
      File size:
      41.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Cool.

I thought at first a "coin degree finder" was a search engine designed to search the Net for sites to take coin courses that issue a cetertificate or a "degree".

4. Coinmelt

Coinmelt New Member

You make just one (half dollar size or quarter size) and use it for all lower diameter coins (cent, nickel, dime, quarter, etc). Which I have for on the go usage. But if you have O.C.D. tendencies you'll want one for each size, like myself.

Lol, Hobo.

Draft saved Draft deleted