Dimensions of encapsulated half-dollar commemorative

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by FHDave, Mar 15, 2008.

1. FHDave

FHDave Senior Member

Does anyone know the outside dimension of the capsule that the US Mint uses for half dollar commemoratives? The reason I am asking is that I am trying to find out whether I might be able to use the Eagle album for encapsulated commemorative half dollard to hold Air-Tite capsules (specifically the A size holders).

I have the SBA and $1 commemoratives and have measured those coins, but I don't have a commemorative half dollar to measure.

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

In checking on the Internet, it seems they are 30.6 mm in diameter, which makes it slightly bigger than a half-dollar and smaller than the 1 oz. Gold or Platinum Eagle (32 mm). I think these also work with early halves.

So it'll obviously go in the bigger one, but I've never tried doing that with a Direct-Fit. They close pretty snugly so it might stay in place once it's shut. I don't think you could squeeze it in the half-dollar one though.

Maybe someone who has REAL experience can jump in!!!!

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Direct fit Air-Tite capsules and the capsules the mint uses are different sizes. They are made by different companies. Air-Tites are slightly larger in outside diameter. I can't tell you exactly how much larger though.

5. FHDave

FHDave Senior Member

No, what I am looking for is the outside dimension of the actual capsule used for the half dollar commemorative coins. I have the dimension of the coin, and yes it is 30.6 mm.

I don't have any half dollar commemoratives in capsules, otherwise I would just measure the capsule size myself. That is what I did to get the size of the dollar capsules.

Draft saved Draft deleted