DGS Graded Coin/ QE Guess Grade

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rhoggman, Jul 30, 2008.

1. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

Opinions please... I would like to continue to hold DGS to the fire.

Attached Files:

• g1.jpg
      g1.jpg
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
    • g2.jpg
      g2.jpg
      File size:
      57.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice coin, I'd say 63 or 64.

4. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

I'd say MS63 on this one.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

6. COIN STASHER

COIN STASHER Senior Member

My guess would be MS64, but MS63 wouldn't surprise me.

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Au58

I'm not very good at gold, but it sure looks like this baby has wear on the high points.

One thing I would like to know about DGS is this.
    They say that they use Photograde as their Grading Guide....what grading sys. did they use for coins such as this...MS grades??
    Since Photograde only covers Cir. grades I would say that they will be hard put to stay with Photograde.

Speedy

8. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Beauty, MS-65

9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I'm going to say MS64, very nice coin.

10. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

You compromised the results when you mentioned DGS. Some people have strong opinions about the service which will probably affect their guesses. I think it's a great looking coin. I'm not particularly good at MS grading but I would say 65.

11. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

Ms62

DGS's grade

Attached Files:

• g3.jpg
      g3.jpg
      File size:
      81.4 KB
      Views:
  12. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

I think that's an accurate grade. For some reason, it's really hard to breakthrough on these $2.5 Libs. It's like there's a ceiling at MS62 for me.

If I use the same standards I use on $10 Libs, I could have a $2.5 coin that I think should be an easy 3 and maybe a 4, but it winds up a 2. (Yes, I know there's differences, but still...)

13. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Seems like a fair grade for the coin.

14. davidlawrence

davidlawrence Junior Member

Grading mint state coins comes from years of experience buying and selling high grade coinage. There's really no way to describe the process in a book and it's truly an art form. -J

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Appreciate that answer as I had the same question a while back. But let me ask you bit more pointed question John - when you were gaining this experience, even you had to start someplace. What set of grading standards did you learn to use ?

16. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

I'm no super-pro, but I have seen enough quarter eagles that I would have to disagree with the wear you are seeing.

I would have to ask where is the wear...???

I know what the high points are, but please expound...

17. GDJMSP

Sorry - mixing up my posts here :eek:

The high points are tip of the crown, above the eye and hair above the ear - eagle's neck and right talon. But on this coin there appears to be light rub in the fields, the chin and hair above the ear. On the rev notably the eagle's beak, wingtip and fields.

18. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

So far, the 2 DGS coins I have seen posted here have been encouraging, fair and accurate. Now lets see some copper !!!

19. davidlawrence

davidlawrence Junior Member

Photograde on circs. The school of hard knocks on mint state. I've been going to coin shows since I was 5 years old. The standards have definitely changed on coins over the years. For example, up until the grading services rarely graded anything higher than MS65, or "gem BU". It was just not done. I even recall when CDN added MS63 to the pricing sheets. So, over the years, we've all adapted to the modification and expectation of various grades and it's and evolutionary process. To learn it, one really needs to look at a lot of coins. An auction lot viewing (in person) is a great place to start.

20. GDJMSP

Thanks for the candid answer. I never have been a fan of Photograde myself, but I gotta say, IMO, the way you learned MS grading is probably the best. There is nothing better than looking at coins, and coins, and coins and more coins.

21. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I am surprised, twice now.

That's a strong 62, stacking friction, wear, whatever. Compare it to NGC or PCGS 62s and tell me what you find.

Draft saved Draft deleted