Death & Coins on Eyes ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by silvereagle82, Mar 31, 2005.

1. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

I watched the movie "Troy" this weekend ,the latest version with Brad Pitt, and what's up with the ancient ritual of putting coins on the dead man's eyes?
    Is this fact or fiction? :rolleyes:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Fact - it was the custom in use for centuries. The coins were to pay the boatman to take the body across the river Styx ( sp ? ) into the next world.

I should probably make another comment here - the ancient Greeks did not place coins on the eyes of the dead though, they would place a coin called an obol ( sp ? ) under the tongue. The custom of placing coins on the eyes came later - but for the same reason.

4. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I always heard that in England they put thos eold big pennies on their eyes to keep them shut when the person first passed away.

I wonder if any of us have any eyeball coins in our collections!?!?

I might go home and wash all of my old coins.

5. Steve E

Steve E New Member

Being in a cemetery, I wish they still practiced this ritual. Would be great for my collection!!!!

6. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

:eek: Steve, Steve, Steve....shame on you!!

7. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

I was told, years and years ago, that it wias common practice to place pennies (cents) under the eyelid to hold a small amount of clay in place so the eyes would appear normal in the deceased! I thought that was cool in my younger years as everyone left with the same amount of cash on hand!

8. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

In the OLD old days (where is SleinaDG to confirm this?) those were some pretty big pennies. Add some clay and those eyes must have been popping out under the eyelids. Must have been some freakish sight!

9. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

Now JBK the U.S. went to small cents in 1856! So THATS were the first year of issue Flying Eagle Cents went!!! Darn never made the connection until now! Then the Indian cent up to 1909 and every one buried after that got Lincolns until someone (probably a greedy funeral director) invented a slug! Now we are all broke on the way out! Guess that still makes us all equal?

10. OldDan

OldDan 共和党

Well, as I remember it (and I do remember it) the funeral director's would place coins on the eyelids of the dead to keep them from opening at the wrong time. After death the muscles do funny things, and until these are set in their final position this was one of the methods used. The coins would be removed prior to the funeral and, sorry Terry, you left exactly as you enter this old world. Very often these coins would be kept as a keepsake to remember the person who had passed away. :)

11. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

My mom says she can remeber her mom talking about putting silver dollars on the eyes of dead people to keep the eyes closed...I think she helped at the Hospital--

Speedy

12. goossen

goossen Senior Member

A couple of years ago I heard that this practice is still in use in some places of Africa!

13. SilverDollarMan

SilverDollarMan Collecting Fool

I have hear of this as recent as 40 yrs ago in Kentuck

14. cdb1950

cdb1950 Senior Member

Now they use Super Glue to keep the eyes closed. Ain't technology great??

Garlicus likes this.
  15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

< I should probably make another comment here - the ancient Greeks did not place coins on the eyes of the dead though, they would place a coin called an obol ( sp ? ) under the tongue. The custom of placing coins on the eyes came later - but for the same reason. >

And another comment. In the movie Troy it was complete fiction because the fall of Troy took place centuries before the invention of coins. So there would be no coins to put on the eyes or in the mouths.

16. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Thank you. (It took long enough for someone to say that.)

"Now my advice for those who die
    Declare the pennies on your eyes
    Cos I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman
    And you're working for no one but me!"

Taxman, The Beatles

17. SilverDollarMan

SilverDollarMan Collecting Fool

LOL :D :cool:

18. JAG90

JAG90 New Member

I remember watching a western movie where they put Morgan dollars on the dead person's eyes, but I can't think of the movie's name.

19. Fin

Fin New Member

IMG_20181109_201821.png IMG_20181109_201821.png
    The Korean war lasted from 1950 - 1554

Attached Files:

20. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

1916D10C likes this.
  21. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

This thread reminded me of the Boondock Saints movies.

Draft saved Draft deleted