Date Covered by Cud?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by alicechaos, Jan 3, 2010.

1. alicechaos

alicechaos Junior Member

Hello, and Happy New Year! Anyone ever see an error like this? I am very new to collecting coins, and I'm guessing this is a "cud". My mother-in-law gave the coin to me. She used to be a collector, but lost interest. She doesn't remember when she picked it up, other than "its been a while."

Question - By looking at the attached pictures, can anyone tell if it this is a real mint error? Thank you for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ERROR HUNTER

ERROR HUNTER Coins,Stamps

its a fake another thread has the same coin.

4. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Looks like it - sorry to hear it's a fake...

5. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Question,

I have seen a piece that looks identical to this one and have no doubts that it is a genuine piece...

What makes this piece a fake? This is a pretty famous coin among cud collectors. I admit the coin looks funky...could be the pics... is this a Chinese counterfeit of the famous cud?

I ask because this piece does show up in the cud book as a genuine error... and I believe this one to be genuine as well.

6. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Looks genuine! Nice one to own.

7. alicechaos

alicechaos Junior Member

Can you point me in the right direction, or post a link to the thread? Thanks!

8. alicechaos

alicechaos Junior Member

And I just found a couple others also! So, did the mint circulate multiple error coins, or did the counterfeiters circulate them? Or both?

This one is slightly different from mine.
    http://128.192.145.172/unknown/cud.jpg

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I see nothing which makes me suspicious of this coin. Cuds are not worth much of a premium, so are not worth the time to counterfeit usually. The weakness on the reverse opposite the cud is a good sign that it is real - not something which can be faked easily or well.

Cool error, and genuine as far as I can tell.

10. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

The metal of the cud has to come from somewhere. In this case it's the reverse depression. Looks real to me, but, what do I know? Nice dramatic error cud.

Bruce

11. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

It's actually the material that the die didn't touch.

12. LostDutchman

The coins were struck like this until someone noticed it and the broken dies were pulled from use. There are quite a few of these particular cuds as I can remember owning at least one and seeing several more at coin shows over the years.

13. Pyrbob

Pyrbob Member

Not only is there a nice cud on the obverse but the reverse also has a retained cud at UNITED.

14. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

By golly I missed that one, thanks

15. LostDutchman

That is typical for this die pair.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It looks good to me. The Washington quarter frequently comes with die cracks along the truncation of Washington's bust and often extending from the front and rear points of the bust to the rim. These cracks indicate a weak area in the design of the quarter and it results in the date area being the most likely place for cuds to form. There are many different dies in the washington seris with cuds over the date.

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

It looks good to me.

18. alicechaos

alicechaos Junior Member

Thank you all for the in-depth cud information--more than enough to chew on!:goof:

19. alicechaos

alicechaos Junior Member

20. 50cent

50cent What A steal

sorry I think it's fake

21. stealer

stealer Roller of Coins

It's real, look how the metal comes from the reverse of the coin.

Then again, I don't collect errors.

Draft saved Draft deleted