CWT Question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by peachymargarita, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Hey all,

Here is a link of a cwt that looks like the one I lost as mentioned in another thread "granddads collection". As I have been searching these I noticed subtle differences in them. This one appears to be the closest.

So, fair asking price for condition? Should I keep looking? I'm assuming this particular cwt is common. Ergo readily available.

Thanks for all your help,

Michael

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Michael:
    I really like CWT's and grab them if they are priced at all reasonably. The problem, as you mentioned is the fact that there are subtle differences in them.
    The catalogues available for them are difficult to use, I have Rulau's "Catalogue of US Tokens 1700-1900".
    The sections for other tokens, Hard Times, Merchants Tokens, et cetera, are very clear, but, the Patriotic Civil War Tokens section is not easy to use.
    I recently purchased two pieces, both CWT's and Patriotic. One was AU, very similar to your piece, with a slightly weak strike on the reverse, and also dated 1863. In AU I paid $13, but I thought that I got a very good price.
    The other is also dated 1863, AU, some red remaining, but different styles. That one was $10, and I still don't know why it was less than the other piece.
    Still, I like the piece that you selected. Since you are really replacing a piece that you still feel bad about losing, the price is not really important. Heck, what is the most that you would be overpaying? $10.?
    If you feel that it is a good fit, and would make you feel better about your collection, then take it.
    At least the seller called it an AU, and not MS-69, Red.
    Good luck.

4. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

If you want it for sentimental reasons then go ahead and get it...

Take Care
    Ben

5. Vroomer2

Vroomer2 Active Member

If CoinTalk can't answer your CWT questions, the Fly-In Club has a CWT forum that should be able to help.

:)

6. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

If you search for a couple of years, you might find an equivalent coin for a few dollars less, but is it worth your time? If it's the piece you want and need for the collection, buy it. It looks like a pretty nice token.

7. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

Keep looking if you are willing to wait in order to save $10 or so. That design is readily available on ebay pretty much on a daily basis.

Many cwts of that appearance are very common and list for $15 in XF and $20 in UNC. You are correct that there are subtle differences between many of these tokens. Depending upon how much difference there can be and still be "close" in appearance, I would consider 34 of the Liberty Head dies and 36 "Army & Navy" dies to be close to the token you linked to. There are many combinations of those dies, as well as a variety of metals used, resulting in a long list of similar cwt id number possibilities.

Treashunt, IMO Rulau's is nearly worthless as far as cwts are concerned. Rulau indictes (in the left column on pg. 433, 4th ed.) that only the commonest variety of each merchant and patriotic die is covered, so none of the others (and there are thousands of them) will be covered in his listing. The Fulds have hardcover books (one for store cards and one for patriotics) that are very good for proper identification. Do not buy the small black softbacks by Fuld - not very usable. If you would ever like any assistance with cwt info, just let me know and I will do my best.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

"Treashunt, IMO Rulau's is nearly worthless as far as cwts are concerned. Rulau indictes (in the left column on pg. 433, 4th ed.) that only the commonest variety of each merchant and patriotic die is covered, so none of the others (and there are thousands of them) will be covered in his listing. The Fulds have hardcover books (one for store cards and one for patriotics) that are very good for proper identification. Do not buy the small black softbacks by Fuld - not very usable. If you would ever like any assistance with cwt info, just let me know and I will do my best."
    Thanks for the offer,
    Frank

9. Mic123

Mic123 Member

CWT people
    I' getting a number of CWT & State/city store cards
    for the reverse die it will say a five digit # such as 60035, 36060 & other #'s but most CTW have a four digit # like 1174,1046 or similar Bower's book does not explain & I can not find any inforormation
    Is there some reference book or site to explain or show these 5 digit #'s?

Draft saved Draft deleted