couple of nice buffalo nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by yorkiedad5, Nov 4, 2009.

1. yorkiedad5

yorkiedad5 Senior Member

Hi, I just wanted to post these nice nickels for you guys to look at. Got em yesterday. Do you think they will grade as mint state anything? Either way they are nice to look at. thanks--BILL

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

They look to have obvious wear on them.

4. yorkiedad5

yorkiedad5 Senior Member

Attached Files:

5. yorkiedad5

yorkiedad5 Senior Member

You are right, but for 75 years old!! I think they look pretty good. I wish I look this good at 75!!!!! if I make it. lol. the nice clear date really caught my eye.--BILL

6. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

The later 30's dates are very common in this condition. The 36's especially seem to have sharp dates along with the 1930. Try finding a 1914 or a 1918 with the same sharp date. Even the high grades aren't nearly as sharp as the later ones in circulated condition. 1916 seems to have sharp dates as well. It just varies.

These can have a full horn outlined in as low as EF condition. If you set them next to a MS-66 you'd notice a huge difference.

7. yorkiedad5

yorkiedad5 Senior Member

thanks vess, i just ordered a hole roll of buffalos off the internet. They are supposed to be bank sealed on both ends. I will let you know what i get. hopefully one of those 1914s or 1918s would be nice. wish me luck--BILL

8. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Well, good luck. I purchased 3 supposedly original rolls off ebay and they were mostly 36s and 37s with some really bad ones thrown in. In hindsight, I should have just bought a semi-key that I knew what I was getting and been done with it. No dates are frustrating too.

A decent 1914 anything (buffalo), is pretty hard to find. I've looked at so many sad ones on ebay. There just aren't many average, good looking ones at a reasonable price, to be found.
    I ended up purchasing one that was the best I found and the seller sent me a different one than was pictured, that had a scratch on the cheek that had obviously been filled. I returned it for a refund. Seller claimed it was an honest mistake. So I still don't own one.

On the bright side, it is cool to have a few rolls of them to look at, handle and study. I've found in comparison to other coins, the diameter tolerances on them are incredibly close. Most are within 0.01 mm of each other.

If you're looking at putting together a set, it's neat to go through all the duplicates and pick out the nicest one. You can always re-sell a roll for something else. I decided to just keep mine because I don't have many old coins I actually get to touch and hold, out of plastic, without caring.

9. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Yes - they are nice. Not MS, but nice. And I also Vess's avatar. :)

10. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

First one looks cleaned, second one is way has overexposed lighting, cannot really tell a whole lot.
    Agree with the consensus, of the EF range, and actually if you want, you could probably get a nice MS65 common date buffalo for pretty cheap, just depends on what you definition of cheap is :)

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

A whole roll, sounds like fun!! :D

Good luck, maybe you will find a gem planchet error, hey wouldn't that be cool if you found a 3 legger? :thumb:

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted