Couple of interesting Byzantines

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikjo0, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

I picked up two coins today that some of you might find interesting.First is a Follis struck under Romanus III in 1031.It doesn't bear his name or likeness but has a portrait of Christ on one side and the "King of Kings" inscription on the other.What I liked about this was the extreme crispness of the lettering,almost no wear.
    The second is a cup shaped coin of Manuel I Comnenus from 1155-58,called a Scyphate Trachy.I'm not sure why they made them like this,possibly for ease of stacking/storage.Anyone know? I just think they look cool!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Oh yeah,one more.Picked it up because this is the nicest representation of the cross I've ever seen on a coin from this early.

Attached Files:

4. julzboi661

julzboi661 New Member

5. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Here is a Michael IV from arounde 1040.

Bone

Attached Files:

6. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Bone,that's another really neat looking cross! Don't think I've ever seen one like it on a Byzantine.
    I don't have a coin from any of the Michaels,I-VII which is kinda odd since I probably have one from almost 80% of all the emperors...so you should send me yours..for Christmas.. :eat:

7. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

I cleaned that one too!!! Swear to gosh, cross my heart. and all the other stuff. The crud popped off like a scab on both sides and "WOWZA" there she was.

They are pretty common on Ebay search (Michael IV) or (dots cross). Sorry buddy, I gotta keep this one

Bone
    :kewl:

Draft saved Draft deleted