Continental Curency

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Moustan, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Moustan

Moustan New Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about a "Continental Curency 1776" (only one r) inkpot that i bought recently at a junk shop. It appears to be made of pewter and features the continental curency mottifs, "we are one" etc. However the "Mind your business" part has mostly worn away. Unfotunately the picture is too large to post on the forums but i will happily email it to anyone who can be of any help or people who are just curious to see what it looks like

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Welcome aboard,Moustan.You will learn a lot here.It is best to keep your email address in your profile,as there has been a lot of spammers spamming the forum lately.If they get hold of your email address,you will get your inbox flooded with junk emails.

Aidan.

4. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

that sounds like a very interesting piece!!! Aidan is right, you dont wanna post ur email publicly without knowing the full extend of flooding!!

Hopefulyl you will be able to post a picture soon, i would love to see it :)

Welcome to the forum!

5. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

We definitely need pictures as there are a lot of Counterfeits floating around! It is possible that the coin is real but it is an even greater possibility that it is another contemporary Counterfeit as the Variety that you have, is the one most often counterfeited.

Frank

6. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Pics

Sry pics may be a bit small as i had to downsize them to get them on the forum. The inside is quite discoloured from the ink.

Attached Files:

7. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

you have the fugio cent with the 'mind your business' on it :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

reverse 'we are one'

this is a restrike, or a fake...not and original Fugio cent

8. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

is that a coin or medal .. it does not look like a coin.

is there a rim or somthing surrounding the coin, like is it encased in something... the 1st pic shows its best, there is an additional 'outline' around the cc coin itself ...

IMO its a fake.. either a copy sold as a souvenier .. or a forgery ... but its tought to tell for sure.

9. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

well, it seems Drusus responded as i did.. had i seen what he responded with .. i would have just agreed :)

10. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These coins have been known by various names, as “Franklin,” “Sun Dial,” “Ring,” and “Mind your business” cents, as well as Fugio cent 'flee' or 'Time flies'

Another name is proposed for them by Mr. Bushnell in the annexed paragraph:
    'This coin was issued by authority of Congress in 1787. It is generally known as the Franklin cent, but should properly called the Rittenhouse Cent, if named after any individual...It was first coined in the city of New York. A number of sets of dies were made, and the piece was subsequently coined not merely in New York, but also New Haven, Connecticut, Rupert, Vermont, and other places. The dies were made by Abel Buel, of New Haven, and the coins were struck by means of a drop press.”

These were the earliest coins issued by the authority of the United States. The records relating to them are very meager, and the papers therein referred to cannot be found. The ensuing copies of the entries in the Journal of Congress contain all the information that can now be procured regarding the proceedings of the authorities in relation to this coinage: these we copy according to their dates.

The Committee, consisting of Mr. Johnson, Mr. King, Mr. Pierce, Mr. Clark, and Mr. Pettit, to whom was referred a report of the Board of Treasury on certain proposals for coining copper have reported,

The re-strikes frequently seen...are from dies found in a store at New Haven, Connecticut, formerly occupied by Messrs. Broome and Platt.

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/fugio_cents/fugio_cents.htm

11. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Thanks for the replies. It's an inkpot, but as it's related to coins i posted it here.

12. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

13. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Thanks :] do you think it might have been made by the continental curency co. or by someone who just felt like cutting a dollar in half? In saying that all though the underside "WE ARE ONE" doesn't protrude like the top does, as you can see in the photo:

Attached Files:

14. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Moustan,that isn't a real Continental Dollar that is on your inkpot,I'm afraid.

Aidan.

15. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

i was totaly lost on the whole 'inkpot' as told inthe initial post ... i kept thinking (and proably hoping) we were talking about the real coin ... that is, until a few posts ago lol

16. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

Me and you both! I really must be stupid as I also missed the inkpot notation and though that we were talking about a coin!

Frank

Draft saved Draft deleted