contest

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bromac4, Oct 5, 2004.

1. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this thread but I trust if its not, the moderators will move it.

It has been suggested that the previous weeks contest winner provide the prize for the next week. I disagree with this and I'll give you 2 reasons why.

1) When I offered to provide a prize for the contest it was stressed to me in no uncertain terms that participation was strictly voluntary. Having last weeks winner involved would create an obligation that is at odds with this.

2) Many forum members are new or casual collectors and would lack the resources to provide any kind of prize.

While I was anxious to have the contest continue I did have another motive for offering a prize.I am Canadian and a collector of Canadian coins so anything I give will reflect that. By doing this I hope in my small way to create a little more interest in Canadian coins among the members of this forum.It will also ,perhaps, give me an opportunity to become more actively involved in this forum.

Bill

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jody526

jody526 New Member

Well said, Bill.

I can't tell you enough, how fortunate we are to have you here, as a valued member of our group.

Your country has a long history of beautiful coinage, and I, for one, am very proud of the examples that hold there place in my collection.

What you say is true. We share our collections because we want to.

I, like many others, have given away many more coins than I now have in my collection. The good feeling that I got from it, was worth much more to me, than the pleasure of looking at the same coins over, and over.

Keep up the good work, my friend, There are many here who very much appreciate it.

4. lincoln64

lincoln64 New Member

I just wish Peter T. Davis felt the same way as you folks. I won the week 19 prize over a month and a half ago (8/16) and have yet to receive it.

5. 36merc

36merc New Member

It has been suggested that the previous weeks contest winner provide the prize for the next week.

Sorry for the suggestion, I guess the contest can die then................adios amigos! I don't need long drawn out reasons why my "SUGGESTION" needed to be ripped. Ban me or unregister me or do whatever it is you do, cuz I'm history.

6. lincoln64

lincoln64 New Member

I just wish Peter T. Davis felt the same way as you folks. I won the week 19 prize over a month and a half ago (8/16) and have yet to receive it.

7. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

The very last thing I ever want to do is to offend anyone.I was only offering an opinion right or wrong.I'm sure everone feels that suggestions of any kind are welcome on this forum, as are discussions about those suggestions.
    Again, I'm very sorry. I would hate to have someone leave the forum because of something I said.

Bill

8. jody526

jody526 New Member

Well, it's not something you said, Bill.
    As you stated, previous winners are under no obligation to hold a give-away, not because you said so, but because you were told so.

Many of us are in no position to give anything away. This is pretty much a closed issue.

9. National dealer

National dealer New Member

I am sorry that my recent "personal" time conflicted with the "contest". I will begin to pick it up starting Monday. The reason that I had originally suggested this random contest was to give a little back to the forum, which has given me so much. If any member wishes to hold a "week", please by all means. With that said, DO NOT feel obligated to do so. I am perfectly content with handling the contest each week.

10. collect4fun

collect4fun Senior Member

I would be willing to "host" a contest. Is there a suggested value to the price, $1 - $5, $5 - $10. etc.?

I have gained so much info from this forum, I would be more than happy to give back.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No - there is no suggested prize value. The prize is determined by the person providing it - it can be anything he/she wants it to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted