[CLOSED] Contest for Uncirculated 1944-P United States Coin Set. See rules in thread

Discussion in 'Contests' started by flyers10, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

My favorite series started out with the Buffalo Nickel. I went to my first coin show in 1955 at the age of 6. I saved up my Blue berry and Princess pine money and I made an expensive purchase of a 1918/7-D Buffalo in good condition for $20. As a youngster, I was able to get dateless Buffalo nickels for 5 cents each and with a little luck and Nic-A-Date, I finished a complete date and mint mark set from change and bank visits. I still have the set and the Good 1918/7-D Buffalo. Happy collecting.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bitten

Bitten Junior Member

The series I like most are: Indian Head Nickels (commonly called Buffalo nickels) and Walking Liberty half dollars. I like them due to the detail on both sides of the coin. They standout and make you look at the details of the engravings.
    I started many years ago as a teenager and drifted away while raising a family and got back to collecting when we became empty-nesters. I collect all 20th century US issues but these 2 are my favorite.

Stevearino and flyers10 like this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Gotta mention my least favorite, the Barber series. Boring design and not attractive if not in at least AU condition.

Hookman likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Thank you for my 25,000th LOTSA LYKES.gif

gronnh20, Hookman and Nyatii like this.
  6. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Favorite series! The one the Astros won by beating the Dodgers!!!

Oh...you meant coins...

My current favorite is...

S$1 1859-O.png

Gorgeous design that I just can't stop admiring. I will likely only ever have one example but I really like the one I have.

Stevearino, gronnh20, Hookman and 2 others like this.
  7. Mark1971

Mark1971 Active Member

For sure the Lincoln cent. First coin series I started collecting back in the 80s.

Hookman and flyers10 like this.
  8. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

i have always been attracted to "odd" coins..like the two cent piece (my avatar), the half cent, large cent, half dimes , twenty cent pieces, and silver and nickle three cent pieces
    the odd 3 dollar gold coins and 2.50 pieces..and weird paper money from colonial days

9. Brina

Brina Well-Known Member

Thank you for your contest :)

My fave is the Walking Liberty. Just a beautiful issue with such attractive art :) :)

Stevearino, Hookman and flyers10 like this.
  10. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I guess I favor an era, rather than a series. The coins introduced in the first 20 years of the twentieth century - Lincoln cents, Buffalo nickels, Mercury dimes, Standing Liberty quarters, and Walking Liberty halves. I can’t stir up an interest in later series with people on them. And the Barber and earlier designs seem plain compared to the artistry of these.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  11. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Welcome back! I would have to say that my favorite series is the Morgan dollar. I like their heft and these are some of the coins that my family has passed on to me over the generations.

Hookman and flyers10 like this.
  12. usmc 6123

usmc 6123 Active Member

Its the standing liberty 25 cent.I want to build a life size model one day.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Were'd that KC-135 Tanker avatar go?

Forgot to welcome you back, dear friend.........:)

14. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

Might have to bring the Avatar out of retirement! Thanks for the welcome back. Good to hear from you my friend.

Hookman, Bob Evancho and green18 like this.
  15. louis a bencze

louis a bencze Active Member

When I was 10 yrs. old my grandmother sent each grandchild a silver dollar from my dead grandfathers hoard. He had mason jars in the basement filled with different denominations, dimes, quarters, halves and dollars. I don't know when he started collecting but he was born in 1879. Needless to say he had many jars and after she sent out the dollars(this is the part that makes me cringe)the rest were all deposited at her bank. It was 1974 and she had no idea they were worth anymore than the coins they were.What I received was an 1878 CC Morgan, probably only a VG example and was very dark. Being 10 I cleaned it with toothpaste and it looked very bright but a whole lot worse. I still own it and will never sell it. It started me on this journey, so I must say the Morgan series is my favorite (as of now) series.

Zeppelingirl and flyers10 like this.
  16. Millard

Millard Coindog

my favorite to is the Lincoln Wheat cent.

flyers10 likes this.
  17. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Well, first, thanks for the giveaway, second, welcome back.

I pretty much like anything silver but I've been gravitating towards the large Crown size coins from all nations, but my first love? and my first introduction to coins is the Columbus Commemorative (my Dad had one. I used to hold it in my hand and dream about exploring the World.). I have many of them. I haven't counted in a while, maybe, more than 20, less than 50. I also like any coin with a woman on it, as England, Canada, Netherlands, Spain, Philippines, Luxembourg, France, Liberia, Poland (Queen Jadwiga) is a favorite, etc. .

Thanks again.

18. flyers10

Last chance to get your entry in to win the prize. Contest ends today Saturday at noon central time. Good luck!

Hookman likes this.
  19. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Flyers10, Thank you for the contest! My earliest and most favorite are the lincoln cents. They were all I could afford to collect as a youth, and still love the excitement of opening a new (to me) roll for treasure hunting and the unknown of what is inside. I still look at pocket change very carefully all of the time. But even more valuable than winning the generous prize is reading all of the stories this contest has generated from various collectors. I am really loving this thread....

Zeppelingirl, Hookman and flyers10 like this.
  20. flyers10

Ok. It's Noon time Central time and the contest is closed. About to pick the winner in the official Lake Placid NY contest hat. Standby for winner info.
    20200425_114541.jpg 20200425_114609.jpg

masterswimmer likes this.
  21. flyers10

First I enjoyed all the replies for the contest. Thanks everyone for playing. And the winner is Steve Bostwick. 20200425_120109.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.