Featured Completed 5th issue Fractional set

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by bobbeth87, Sep 21, 2009.

1. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I inherited the 10 cent note from my dad. It is quite a nice note, in fantastic condition. I don't know enough about how to grade notes to put a grade on it, but I would imagine it would be unc or at least au.

The 25 cent note I got from my niece who found it this past summer.

So, I was looking for a 50 cent note to complete the 5th issue set, and found this damaged one on the bay with a minimum bid of 3 bucks. I bid on it at the minimum and forgot about......well, no one else bid on it so I got it. It is in terrible shape, but I am pleased to have it for 3 bucks (+ $2 shipping) until I can upgrade down (probably way down) the road.

So, though it doesn't compare in quality with many of the paper collectors here (except the 10 cent note), I'm very happy with this complete set (for now).

And, as far as I can tell, this is a complete set of the 5th issue.....Correct?

Bob

p.s. Feel free to post your fractionals as well.....I love these little things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Yes & no. There is a variation on the 10c with key length. Congrats on the accomplishment.
    Here is the only fractional I have.

Attached Files:

asheland likes this.
  4. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Thanks, Noost, but what does "key length" refer to?

5. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

The length of the key on the seal. There are short key (4 mm) and long key (5mm). red seals as well as a long key green seal.

6. north49guy

north49guy Show me the Money

Congrats on completion! I got my first (and only american) fractional at the FUN show in orlando in January, here it is...

[​IMG]

Here are my canadian fractionals... (the reverses are almost the same)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

asheland likes this.
  7. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

BobBeth...

What the Noost is telling you is that yes in a way you did, the value of the notes yes it is a full set, the variety of notes, no it not a full set.

The 10 cent notes you have Fr 1264, 1265 and 1266(long key, short key, red seal and green seal)

The twenty five cent notes you have Fr 1308 and 1309 (Red Seal long and short key)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fifty cent notes you have Fr 1381 Red seal with 5 mm key and bule end stain that varies in color contrast.

So.... 7 notes Total to finish the set...

Keep on going Sir....it only gets better from there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Blue end will look like the Stanton 50 cent note (but on the reverse of the note) from the 4th Issue.
    Or the 15 cent note from the 4th Issue as well..shown as examples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RickieB

8. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Rickie:

Thanks for extra explanation and the examples, I see the difference in the key length. These fractionals are really cool.

I'd love to see some more posted here....

9. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

I started with the 4th and 5th Issue Fractionals...

I have all of them except 2 examples of the 4th Issue.

Just started working on some select 3rd Issue Notes

Here they are....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RickieB

10. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

Collecting fractionals is very fun! There are plenty of examples that can be found for very reasonable prices. And if you are only interested in a type set, you can probably complete the fractional series relatively cheaply! If however, you desire to complete all varieties within the fractional series... well then i am afraid, some notes wont come cheap lol. There are several notes in the series that can get pricey in top grades!

asheland likes this.
  11. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Love the Lincoln one

asheland likes this.
  12. connor1

connor1 Collector

Here's a few of mine $th & %th, issues I think.

Attached Files:

asheland likes this.
  13. connor1

connor1 Collector

A few more, the 15 cent is a proof printed on one side for a fractional shield,never mounted in proof condition (narrow margins)

Attached Files:

asheland likes this.
  14. mvh

mvh New Member

Does anyone know the printed quantity for the variations of issue 5 fractional currency.

asheland likes this.
  15. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Fifth Issue 10 cents - 199,899,000
    Fifth Issue 25 cents - 144,368,000
    Fifth Issue 50 cents - 13,160,000

midas1 and asheland like this.
  16. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

Great thread! I just got back into these and have about ten of them. I'm starting with the 4th and 5th series then I'll work backwards. I have most of the types, (except the George Washington 25c) I may do all of the Friedberg variations... (4th and 5th series)

longshot and tibor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted