Complete Roosevelt Business Strike Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CohibaCris, Jun 28, 2004.

1. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

Well, they looked so good I had to show them off....

This set was built out of rolls that I went through for a couple of months. After exhausting the normal dates, I filled the rest with AU-BU examples from shows (mostly from the 50% off bins).

Building this set was a lot of fun, and I am looking forward to cherry picking BU examples when I can to bump up the grades for some of the coins. After a purchase yesterday, I lack only three silver proofs to make the entire run complete.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

The rest of them...

Attached Files:

4. cholmes75

cholmes75 New Member

Is placing proof coins in a folder considered a good idea??

5. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

From what I know, if you are careful and center the coin in the holder to make sure the plastic slide does not touch the coin when it is moved, it isn't a bad way to hold them.

If that plastic slip ever touches the coin, however, bye bye proof!

6. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

Well, beware having clad proofs in an album. About 22 years ago, I bought a then-complete set of clad Roosevelt proofs, put them in a Whitman Classic album, and they toned to a hideous gray-black color. Hopefully you will have a better experience with what appears to be a Dansco album. :)

7. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

That 'tis my hope.

But if I see any signs of that starting, out they come. Maybe in a few years more products that are more conducive to album type storage will emerge.

8. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

I've heard good things about the Intercept Shield albums -- you might want to try that if you start another set with clad proofs.

9. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

I will, thanks for the tip.

10. cdcda

cdcda New Member

11. braincramp

braincramp New Member

Another strategy is to keep the coin in an Air-Tite holder, which is then placed in an Air-Tite album. Coins can be examined in the album, or taken out (still in their holders) for inspection. The spaces are not identified, which has the advantage of not predetermining which dates/mints/varieties constitute your set, and you can appreciate what you have rather than depricate those empty holes.

More can be found at http://www.airtiteholders.com/.
    A good dealer for these is http://www.jpscorner.com/.

12. joecoin

joecoin New Member

By the way, nice set, congratulations.

13. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

Very nice. I am 1 coin away from filling my Rosey Circulation set. Still looking for the '50 s. I've also started filling in my Mercs.

14. CohibaCris

CohibaCris New Member

Thanks for the comments! Dockwalliper, I am trying to consider where to go next. There were some of the 50s that I ended up having to get from a show.

Unfortunately, I am fighting the money/collecting conundrum. So many coins, so little cash! :D

15. jody526

jody526 New Member

Man, that's a great collection, cris.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.
    I really like those Dansco albums. Gives you a great way to view your intire collection at a glance.
    Never had any problems with mine. I just push the coins all the way down, and then only slide the top window, when I need to make a change. (Of course all my coins are for my personal enjoyment, and not intended as an investment, and are not for sale)
    Oh yeah, I'd love to see that just completed Jefferson nickel set sometime.

16. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

These proofs are not very expensive, if I recall correctly. I have a slabbed Proof-70 that cost me about $10, I think. So, if a bit of damage occurs, the world is not less well off. The proofs are common enough to go around.

Also, it is true that no matter what happens to a proof, it remains a proof. You might have an impaired proof, but it is always a proof by its nature.

You do, however, inevitably damage the proof by doing anything collector-like to it. Honest.

Nice set, though. I built my Mercury Dimes the same way. A dealer let me go through bags of Mercs and then I bought the tougher dates over the counter in the grades I needed for an attractive set. It was a good feeling. Congratulations!

Draft saved Draft deleted