Commemorative Coin Holders

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MikeG, Oct 24, 2004.

1. MikeG

MikeG New Member

Good Afternoon! I hope this post doesnt violate any self-promotion rules, but here goes. I am a dealer and have been since 1979. I buy and sell US commemorative coins from 1892 to 1954. But my specialty is in the original holders, mailing envelopes and paperwork that was used to distribute these coins. I would love to hear from any users of this forum who have these original items - particularly those that are uncommon. I am in the process (for well over a year now) in writing a book on commemorative memorabilia and would love to include all types of items in the book. To me, these items are probably even more interesting than the coins themselves. For example, 1936 Wisconsins are relatively common coins, even up to MS66 grade - yet an original distribution holder, mailing envelope, etc., is virtually unknown. If anyone has neat items and would like to share the knowledge of those items, I would be happy to include that info. Feel free to post here or to email me directly. Thanks very much!

Mike

Edited to remove e-mail address

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jody526

jody526 New Member

So, Mike, tell us more about this book you're writing.

4. MikeG

MikeG New Member

Hi Jody.. thanks for your reply. I am writing a book that will illustrate and price original commemorative coins holders and some limited memorabilia. For example, a number of 1925 Lexington Commems were distributed in their original pine boxes. The boxes, which I am certain almost everyone has seen, were made of pine, had a Concord Minuteman stamped on the front of the box and had the Lexington belfry stamped on the back. But did you know that there were only about 1,000 boxes made? Did you know that these boxes routinely sell (without coins) for $35 to $75? Did you know that "fake" boxes from the Far East circulated in the US market during the 1980's (when Lex boxes sold for $150 each!)? Do you know how to tell a "real" Lex box from a "fake?" These are the types of issues I want to discuss in the book. But I want to cover every issue and educate people on which holders are genuine and contemporary to the period, and which ones were "added" by a profit-seeking individuals later.

I have been gathering and writing this book for some time. I want to go through each issue (between 1892 and 1954) discuss and depict the memorabila (primarily the original holders, mailing envelopes and paperwork) and state the current prices (based on eBay results, auction results, my direct sales and my 25 years of buying and selling these holders). There are numerous books on commems from Wood's monograph on commems (1922) to Slabaugh's books in 1962 and 1975 to Bullowa, Mehl, Taxay, Swiatek, Breen, Bowers, Hodder, Iacovo and Ganz (geez... did I forget anyone?). Many of these books mention and picture comme holders - but none of these books were specifically written to discuss the holders only. Its really a labor of love for me.

About a million years ago, I was the President of the Society for U.S. Commem Coins for a couple of years in the 1990's and was the editor of their journal, The Commem Trail, for, I guess, 5 years. Its amazing how much there still is to learn about these items. From talking to collectors and other dealers, I learn something new every week.

So thats why I have asked the readers of this forum for their assistance. I would like to include anything that they happen to know about these holders that would be of interest to people interested in commem from that period. If they have items in their collections and would share a scan or two, I would be very happy to include it there and on my website (where I also offer lots of info about these holders) and will attribute the information to them or annonymously at their discretion. The more that people know about these original items, the more we all benefit.

One last opinion, if I may, is that if anyone is offered any original holders, I would suggest that they buy them carefully. Prices for many of the holders are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than they once were. Why? Because of slabbing. Years ago dealers would buy original holders and "mate" them with original coins. Now because of slabbing that happens MUCH less frequently. SO its simple supply and demand. While the supply is still shrinking through attrition, the demand has shrunk faster. So, just be careful!

Thanks for asking me Jody and for letting me take up all this bandwidth to explain what I am trying to do. I would truly appreciate any of the knowledge that the members here have and are willing to share.

Mike @ Liberty

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy Mike - Welcome to the Forum !!

You sound like my kinda guy - I was a collector of original US Mint & Proof sets for many years. And like you - the packaging was important to me.

Can't say I ever owned any of the older US commems with packaging, but I do own quite a few of the modern versions still. As I understand it, the older commems were shipped in cardboard tab holders which often produced some stunning toning results over the years with interesting patterns.

I do not believe most collectors these days are even aware of this style of holder - so if you have some - I'm sure most would appreciate pics so they would know one when they see it. If you can - please share ;)

6. MikeG

MikeG New Member

Thanks very much. If its not sounding TOO commercial (if it is just delete the web address) but there are a number of pics of original holders on my website that forum members can see. I have also attached a number of them here. I am happy to share any scans that I have with any of the forum members and am very happy to answer any questions that anyone may have. The toning often imparted by these holders is often SPECTACULAR! But sometimes, its very dark. But beauty being in the eye of the beholder - all are beautiful to me! I have hundreds and hundreds of scans, but I have attached a few for your enjoyment - Lexington and Bridgeport original coin holders. Enjoy!

Edited to remove link to commercial website.

Glad you're here, and like sharing info, but we must all follow the rules.

Attached Files:

7. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

Nice! I can honestly say I haven't seen either of those before.
    Thanks and welcome to the forum!
    Nick

8. MikeG

MikeG New Member

Thank you Nick. I have attached a few more scans of a 1925 Stone Mountain "Bernard Baruch" holder and 3 scans of an original 1935 Connecticut commem in its silver distribution box and, finally, a 1927 Vermont in its original mailing holder. I have hundreds of scans of original items. If any forum members would like me to post any particular holders just let me know and please dont forget that I need YOUR information about any that YOU have.

Thanks!

Mike

Attached Files:

9. MikeG

MikeG New Member

There are literally thousands of pieces of commemorative coin memorabilia so the book will have to deal with original distribution holders, mailing envelopes, paperwork and any items that actually housed the coins. Its quite a chore to decide what will be included and what wont. If there are any US commem coin collectors out there, I would really like to hear from them regarding what they have or what they would like to see.

10. MikeG

MikeG New Member

One other thought, the Society for United States Commemorative Coins is a great non-profit organization made up of hundreds of collectors who appreciate US commemorative coins. I would be happy to sponsor any Coin Talk forum particpants to become members. I am Life Member #23.

The link to their (non-commercial web page) is:

http://www.money.org/clubs/suscc.html

Please take a look and consider joining. You can learn a great deal from their quaterly journal and from the Society meetings. Its really money well-spent. Thanks!

11. MikeG

MikeG New Member

New Commem Holders Purchased

I wanted to share with the forum members a few scans of some commemorative coin holders that I recently (today) purchased...

1. a 1937 Arkansas PDS Set box, black leatherette holder, distributed by Stack's

2. A 1936 Cleveland Great Lakes fold over holder, distributed by Thomas Melish.

3. A 1935 silver foil Connecticut Box distributed by the Hartford National Bank and Trust Company

Good stuff is still out there!

Mike

Attached Files:

NSP likes this.
  12. Jeffery A Struve

Jeffery A Struve New Member

13. Jeffery A Struve

Hi!

I sent you a PM about a coin box....

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Kripes....the guy was last seen thirteen years ago. Get current and don't resurrect old threads necromonger........

CoinCorgi likes this.
  15. Jeffery A Struve

I didnt see the date... I did a search for the item I am needing... this forum came up, and the OP has a designation as a new member....

That being said, his post wasnt closed and allowed me to reply and his membership seems to be active as I was able to PM him.

Thank you for you for your reply to my inquiry.

16. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I wonder how the OP'S book turned out...

17. Jeffery A Struve

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If he replies to your PM be sure to ask him and let us know. Sounds like an interesting book.

19. Jeffery A Struve

Draft saved Draft deleted